I take loads of photos with my 'happy snap' Olympus mju500. It has a fully automatic underwater macro setting & landscape mode. I am not overly impressed with the results - can't re-set white balance & no RAW mode. However had a look at a review of the Oly SP350 on camerasunderwater and that has some downsides too - slow focus & write speed. I don't really want to splash out over a grand for a housing for my DSLR so advice..
Do I start playing with manual settings on the mju500 - and if so has anyone used it that way, or
get a camera that does manual white balance & RAW (maybe the older 5050 or Oly SP350) or
get a strobe
or.......
Andy
Hi Andy,
You can try white balancing later in photoshop. Open a photo, then use either Levels or Curves. Select the white-point eye-dropper. Now try finding something white in the photo and click on it - let us know what happens.
Getting a strobe sounds like a great idea to me.
Cheers
James
If I had a DSLR, I'd spring for the housing even if I had to finance it. With that in mind, I am owner of the SP350 and I like most everything about the camera. The write speed should be enhanced by the new XD H-type memory cards. I've got one on order but won't be able to test it until next week. The autofocus mode is slow. The infrared focus assist light is blocked partially by the housing so in low-light an Inon with the built in focus light is on my list. If you stick the camera in manual focus mode, you can get the shutter lag down to almost nothing. Manual focus allows you to use the up down buttons to move the focus but I've found its best to leave it at about 3-4 ft and not mess with it. For the money...roughly $380 bucks for both the camera and housing on Ebay I found it tough to resist the price and "bang for your buck".
Gary
Hi Andy,
You can try white balancing later in photoshop. Open a photo, then use either Levels or Curves. Select the white-point eye-dropper. Now try finding something white in the photo and click on it - let us know what happens.