Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Private 'Photo Dive Guide' dive centre policy

Started by Mobula ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Private 'Photo Dive Guide' dive centre policy

12 posts
  1. Here's an interesting, if alarming, dive centre policy I have just encountered in the Red Sea:

     

    Subex dive centre, El Quseir at the Movenpick resort (very nice) have just initiated a policy whereby Photographers without their own buddy MUST take a private 'photo' dive guide at a cost of 40 euro per dive (on top of diving costs). Their reason for this is that they will not buddy you with another hotel guest because you are a photographer. Apparently, they have had complaints from guests who were buddied with photographers... This was put to me as being a great service, where you would have a private guide who would work with you in making your photographs. So, I tried it and it was a joke. My guide, whom I was told 'will be experienced in what photographers need' did not participate in the dive in any way.

     

    Personally, I was agast at such a discriminatory and segregationist policy, whereby you may not even befriend new divers and buddy up with them. Fortunately, I did have a couple of buddies to call on, but ended my diving early with such an unfriendly attitude.

     

    I am very interested to know how other members would view this...

  2. Hi John

     

    Whilst I can see their point of view, this does sound a tad like a money making exercise to me.

     

    I'd think that as you named the centre, other underwater photographers will avoid them. If they lose business perhaps they will alter their attitude.

     

    Sounds not dissimilar to having to use a 'stand-by' diver in commercial operations - whilst they could enhance the ability to film/video, its rarely what happens in practice. Mind you, on some trips in the past, I've been buddied with other guests who've been so bad........

     

    I may be down in your neck of the woods in the next few weeks! Is there any vis?

  3. Penalty. That is outrageous. On my last trip to the Red Sea I made 26 dives in a week. That would have cost me over 1000 Euros in extras. I will be giving Subex a wide berth.

     

    I understand that diving with a photographer may "ruin" a dive for a diver who wants to rush about all over the place. Although that diver might be better off learning to slow down. But to make the photographer pay for it is ridiculous.

     

    Several years ago, and I don't know if it is still the case, the dive centres in Eilat (which at the time was very popular with British Photographers) made buddy diving compulsary. No more solo diving. As a result I can't name a serious British photographer who has been to Eilat since!

     

    I would stick with companies that aren't so narrow minded. On a Red Sea trip last year, with a company we had never dived with before, we were asked to sign special solo-diving waivers. And then we were free. In fact we dived as a loose buddy team for most of the week - but it was nice to be offered that freedom.

     

    John, send a letter to Peter at UWP Magazine. This would make an excellent topic for him to cover!

     

    Alex

  4. Had a quick look on their website - to see if I could find anything official about it. Couldn't.

     

    Although they can't be all bad - they seem to be keen on promoting my book! :lol:

     

    Alex

  5. where do I apply for a job!

  6. The way i look at it Mr Cheng owes me some money..... :lol:

  7. I travel with my buddy. She also doubles as the "Designated Driver" in a pinch :lol:

    While we both are photographers but while my thing is WA, hers is Macro. Anyone who feels that the two of us are "dive buddies" in the traditional sense is fooling themselves. We do have some signaling system between us, but sometimes all we see is the bubbles of the other behind a piece of the reef. Often I might be at 100 feet and she at 25.

     

    I believe that any photographer is essentially a solo diver and should be trained to behave (and gear up) as such. I find it offensive that dive resorts insist upon buddying up divers without concern for the interests and/or experience of each.

     

    Not that I don't enjoy getting to know other divers but I do not enjoy taking responsibility for another diver and especially when the ability of that other diver is unknown to me. How do I know they can function in an emergency? Will they panic? If I require assistance will they be able to come thru in a pinch?

     

    Let's encourage dive operators to support solo diving. This solves everyone's problem, not just the Photographer. If a Diver is not comfortable diving solo, then it should be their responsibility to bring a buddy or stick with a divemaster.

     

    This may seem harsh, but the reality is that we are all responsible for our own safety UW in the end.

     

    So, I can highly recommend Easy Divers at Habitat Curacao since they provide 24hr/day access to the water and Solo diving is also allowed. I also can recommend the Thai boat Ocean Rover.

    Edited by hoovermd
  8. The way I see it is:

    In Spain it´s forbidden by the law to do solo diving (you are even supposed to have a help boat but that´s not followed tightly) so the problem ends up here (no diving centre will allow you). Off course you can do (I have done it once or twice :lol: ) shore solo diving but you could get fined (very very rarely) and your insurance will not cover should anything happen...

    I don´t know about Egypt but if they don´t allow it, I find this measure right because someone we don´t know shouldn´t have to bear with our way of diving slowing down, breaking the group etc... Now we can discuss if it´s expensive or not etc...You had bad luck because it was 40 € per dive and got a bad guide...but I can perfectly see myself paying 15€ if I am at dive in Indonesia or Philippines and I get an experience guide who shows me a lot critters that otherwise I wouldn´t notice...

  9. that's a total ripoff, but it just adds bad rep to the red sea diving. it sounds to me like a scam.

     

    The way I see it is:

    In Spain it´s forbidden by the law to do solo diving (you are even supposed to have a help boat but that´s not followed tightly) so the problem ends up here (no diving centre will allow you). Off course you can do (I have done it once or twice :lol: ) shore solo diving but you could get fined (very very rarely) and your insurance will not cover should anything happen...

    surprising- that means that i would not be allowed to stop at a beach pull a tank from my car and go diving (outside of restricted areas of course)? that's sounds very restrictive and surprising. i could understand if this is the case when you are diving within the responsability of a club/center/organisation. reason i say this is i live in france where diving is very regulated, but only within the constraints of diving through a club/center... if i go on my own to the beach i can do whatever i want.

     

     

    ...but I can perfectly see myself paying 15€ if I am at dive in Indonesia or Philippines and I get an experience guide who shows me a lot critters that otherwise I wouldn´t notice...

    my 2 cents:

    in most places in indo and the philipines that cater to photogs, that IS the role of the dive guide and they usually bust their guts to find you the right critters, and you should certainly not pay 15euros on top of your dive. (dives in indo cost about 30-35 $ each). you certainly tip the dive staff at the end of the stay but not to

    the tune of 15eurs per dive

     

    edit: unless of course you get a private dive and guide which is a different topic, i think

    Edited by 3@5
  10. And you owe Melody money too Paul!!!!

     

    hahahahah

     

    BTW she just got the 100 and a Canon 15 yesterday so very happy...

     

    Now i have to really do a photog course... :lol:

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  11. And you owe Melody money too Paul!!!!

     

    hahahahah

     

    :lol::):(

     

    reminds me: i have a couple of photos to post on another thread ;)

  12. surprising- that means that i would not be allowed to stop at a beach pull a tank from my car and go diving (outside of restricted areas of course)? that's sounds very restrictive and surprising. i could understand if this is the case when you are diving within the responsability of a club/center/organisation. reason i say this is i live in france where diving is very regulated, but only within the constraints of diving through a club/center... if i go on my own to the beach i can do whatever i want.

     

    This is Article 24: in red what is related to the topic....what I find most incredible is use of Nitrox for up to 55...I guess they meant Trimix...

     

    Norms of Security for the Exercise of Subacuaticas Activities.

    ORDER of 14 of October of 1997, by that it is approved the Norms of Security for the Exercise of Subacuaticas Activities. BOE núm. 280 of 22 of November

     

    Emitting department: Ministry of Public Works and the Economy.

     

    I CAPITULATE III. Sport-recreational diving

    Article 24. On the practice of the sport-recreational diving.

    All medical instructor of one of the modalities of subaqueous activities, will have to be in possession of a "Insurance of accidents and civil responsibility", that can cover any type with incident that can take place during the development of the same ones.

     

    In the accomplishment of operations of diving, he will be avoided to plan the immersions to the limit of the decompression tables, giving him to the diver a time or depth of security, on the limit of the same ones. The programs of education for the obtaining of the different titles, will have to include explanations and handling of the established tables of decompression in these norms.

     

    Actually of the sport-recreational diving, the tables of decompression including in annexed the III could be replaced by descompresímetro digital properly approved.

     

    When by exceptional questions the risk of an immersion in solitaire is justified, the diver will go always united to the surface by a security end rope.

     

    In the immersions anticipated to more than 40 meters of depth, the use of communications equipment is advisable with surface.

     

    In the transport of the bottles of diving it will have to be procured that the same ones always are fixed holding them by the faucets and the body of the cylinders, not by the harnesses, to avoid their breakage and possible fall.

     

    The compressors driven by explosion motors, will only have to be made work in deep spaces, placing the taking of aspiration to about two meters of the level of the ground and to windward of the escape of the motor of the compressor.

     

    The limits of depth for operations of diving with air are determined by the following levels to level of the sea:

     

    40 meters: Immersions with independent air equipment.

     

    55 meters: Exceptional immersions with air or nitrox (enriched air).

     

    They will only be able to conduct recovery or corpse rescue operations, the Forces of Security of the State and/or divers with the corresponding, safe professional degree in emergency circumstances where the intervention represents the protection of human lives.

     

    The responsibility of the preparation and planning of an operation of diving, will always fall on the diver of greater rank. In the same way, all the personnel who participates in the same one, will have to be found out the program that is going away to carry out.

     

    Precautions will be taken when immersions in bottoms become of mud, to avoid the loss of visibility or the interment of the diver or of its equipment.

     

    Methods of treatment and measures will be anticipated to adopt in case of accident caused by the marine, toxic or aggressive life, when water immersions become with high concentration of dangerous marine life.

     

    There will be a boat in surface to aid and aid of the divers. Whenever it is possible, it will be had in her a pair of security, list to make immersion.

     

    All boat that participates in operations of diving, will have to raise the flag ALPHA of the International signal code and, if possible, will mark out with buoys with the same signal TWO points of the zone of immersion.

     

    One will demand to the centers of material rent and to the divers the responsibility and completion of the same one.

     

    The minimum unit in the water to carry out immersions with independent equipment will be a pair of divers and who will have to be put under the following restrictions:

     

    That diver will not be able to make subaqueous activities all who is in low physical, psychic state, tension, anxiety, embriaguez, disease, dream, ingestion of drugs or similar effects.

     

    Diving activities will not take place when the atmospheric conditions prevent the normal maneuver of the amphibious fire support ship for the collection of the divers.

     

    Immersions will not be made that require shutdowns of decompression in the water when the state of the water does not allow to make, surely, the prescribed shutdowns or to maintain the depth with exactitude.

     

    It will be avoided, as far as possible, the accomplishment of immersions with currents superior to a knot.

     

    The obligatory minimum equipment that it must take an independent diver will be:

     

    Compensating vest of the bouyancy, that will have to consist of a system of buccal inflation, and another automatic direct one of the bottle of provision main, or fed by means of a small bottle.

     

    The bottle will count on a mechanism of reserve or a system of control of the inner pressure.

     

    Clock and digital depth gauge or descompresímetro.

     

    Knife.

     

    Two second stages, although are recommended to take two independent regulators.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.