Hi Guys,
I just received an e-mail from Ocean Realm Journal. Hereunder is an excerpt from the mail. It came from Linda Marshall - Ocean Realm orjlinda@cox.net
Basically, I reacted to the fact that they are soliciting for material, but saying that extra copies of the magazine should do for payment. How do you guys feel about this?
IMHO, this is too much! There are actully people out there who are trying to make a living on travel writing and photograhy! To come out so bluntly to solicit for free material seems inappropriate. Or am I overreacting?
I can understand that from time to time running material from some new photographer or writer who just want to see their photocredit or byline, but for the Magazine to actually send out a massmailing like this... especially as I thought the idea was that they will profile themselves as a "hi quality" glossy!
The thousands in dollars spent on gear and insurance, all the money spent on travel to exotic locations, the hours spent researching, the hours spent editing images, writing articles... is "extra copies of the Journal for family distribution" sufficient compensation for that?
I wrote a reply to this email with my thoughts on the matter. If any of you guys feel like letting Ocean Realms know your feelings, the address I replied to was orjlinda@cox.net (Linda Marshall) <_<
Ocean Realm likes to promote new talent. If you are a photographer and think your pictures are publishable, send a sample to images@oceanrealmjournal.com and we will review them for future editions. The next edition will feature the following destinations -Â so if you think you have pictures of Ocean Realm quality, of the following destinations, send us a sample.
Costa Rica
Malaysia
Palau/Yap
Wakatobi
Florida and the Keys
California
Vancouver
Contributions to Ocean Realm are gratis as we provide contributors extra copies of the Journal for family distribution.