Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

HDV

Started by wagsy ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

HDV

14 posts
  1. Hi all

    Some say HDV is no good for broadcast TV?

    Well I just shot a days Whale Shark day for a BBC team and gets were thats going to end up.

     

    Shoot in HDV and don't worry about what the others say.

     

    The Phenom was not very good uptop on the back of the boat but once in the water it's very easy to work with and chase the sharks with. Leaping in with it rolling was abit strange as well as it's so heavy but got the job done.

     

    The LCD is very usefull along with the center handle ontop. Letting go of the thing, it just ever so slowly started to sink. Freediving under the shark was very easy as well and once again the LCD came in very usefull.

     

    Cannot load up any demo footage as they took the tape. :lol:

     

    Pmooney, I think Kelly would kill me if I spent more money on another housing at this point in time, but thanks for the offer.

     

    Wags

  2. Well - that would just give her another reason :lol::)

  3. Well she has taken over the Navigator 900 now shooting the day Shark trips and the way she is going I may have to buy her a HDV setup. She is even selling on days they see no Sharks! Must be that bikini :lol: .

  4. Well she has taken over the Navigator 900 now shooting the day Shark trips and the way she is going I may have to buy her a HDV setup. She is even selling on days they see no Sharks! Must be that bikini :lol: .

     

    Pictures, we must have pictures !!!

  5. Well Wags that's the common misunderstanding. They'll take HDV for sequences. They just don't want full programs shot entirely in HDV and handed in that way. They want uprezzed to HDTV or SD DV. It's the post that has to be perfect.

  6. Good on ya Wagsy,

    It is difficult to get good work in a world where the standards are continually changing. I'm increasingly under the impression that broadcast companies put out statements regarding acceptable formats as a show of allegiance to more established footage providers and freelancers using the larger formats etc. At the end of the day there is work out there and work with the bigger names as you recent escapades show. Most of it is down to being in the right place, with the right gear, with the skill and knowledge in order to get the job done and at the right time. The rest comes down to what the producers want.

     

    HDV is a fine format but one that will only find its way into the broadcast world as a means to get the shots where the production doesn't have a sizeable budget and larger HD options don't allow. Everyone is hurting out there in TV land, money is hard to come by and harder to wrestle from the guarded safes of production parent companies and private investors.

     

    Good to hear of your adventures. Keep up the good work.

     

    Nice short review of the housing too.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  7. Hi Mark / Drew

    You are right there in your statements.

    I did ask if they wanted it shot in DV mode, but HDV was what they wanted.

     

    I do know that the shots which I got and continue to get each day would near on be impossible with a full size rig. I'm finding the Phenom is rather easy to snorkel/freedive with and for diving with the battery packs on just the right size/balance to keep steady.

     

    I also sat inside a school of Golden Sweepers today shooting stunning stuff, there would of been no way to get a ful size rig into the postion I was in.

     

    Does anyone know if Amphibico have made the MWB brackets yet? I have not heard anything yet. If you have a Phenom you really need to do this modification if you shoot in manual mode.

  8. I just recieved an e-mail yesterday from Amphibico and they said the MWB mod parts are being machined as we speak.

    Edited by RebreatherDave
  9. That good to hear Dave.

    I never got any email.....maybe they don't like me anymore. :rolleyes:

  10. I would claim that they just succumb to my sublime charm when I call via telephone.....but I don't want people to think I am from Brokeback Mountain.

  11. I been in many tv studios around the world and they all want full resolution HDTV clips. ie. 1920x1080i/p or 720p. HD-SDI at 4:4:4 using HDCAM SR. 1440x1080i is close but the HDV is at 4:2:0.

     

    A few of the cheaper stations I've been to have been using some HDV cameras and have pretty good results.

     

    Sony CineAlta cameras are the HD cameras that the big boys use. I think the prices have dropped and you can get one for around $45k...

     

    Curtis

  12. hahahahaaa Thanks Curtis.. that really helps... :rolleyes:

  13. Well Curtis, if we all had bags of money, i'm sure we would have the best gear.

     

    Well there have been allot of stuff in TV docos shot on DV over the years and HDV is better than DV so Im sure it will turn up all over the place.

     

    Speaking of TV, if you want a laugh you can go to our Video Lives and watch a few first clips we have made so far. We have to make 20 clips over 40 weeks and it gets aired on AUSTRALIAN ABC 2 TV each fornight. Click on Kelly.

     

    We have some cool underwater ones edited up that will be shown over the comming weeks. Navy Pier, Sharks, Turtles, Whale Sharks, Baby Turtles and more all shot in HDV with the A1 and FX1.

  14. Congratulations Wagsy & Kelly.

     

    It is always great to see peopla who have the cohones to live their dreams. The footage is off course great as well.

     

    Anders

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.