Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Question : new port for AF-S VR 105 mm f/2.8G IF-E

Started by La Flute ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Question : new port for AF-S VR 105 mm f/2.8G IF-E

14 posts
  1. Hello everybody!

     

    My name is Francis Lehmann. I’m Swiss and French speaking.

     

    I just bought an Ikelite Nikon D-200 Digital SLR Camera Housing with a 8’’Dome for a 10.5mm 1:2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye.

    I’m also interested to buy very soon an AF-S VR 105 mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

    I’m wondering about the flat port which would suit with this new model.

    Are the ports #5505.5 and #5508.05 (which are suitable for AF DC 105mm f/2.8D) still suitable for the AF-S VR 105 mm f/2.8G IF-ED?

     

    This is the first time I visit your forum. I appreciate very much the content and the professionalism.

     

    Thanks by advance for your reaction.

     

    Best regards

     

    La Flute

  2. The limiting factor may be the size of the port opening on the Ikelite housing. The opening may be too small for this very wide lens. There are actually two questions here. The first is if the opening is big enough to mount the lens and camera in the housing. Second if not can you mount the Camera, then the lens from the front and then mount the port?

     

    So far apparently only the Seacam housing and my Subal D2X housings have a port opening big enough to mount this lens.

     

    Note; that is what I read about the Seacam. I don't have one nor have I tried one.

  3. Thanks a lot to davephdv for his answer :) !

     

    In fact, the question remains...

     

    It would be great indeed if somebody could test the port in a german or american shop. There are no possibilities to test compatibility or incompatibility with Ikelite housing and another port in swiss shops because the model still don't exist here.

     

    Best regards

     

    La Flute : :lol:

  4. The 105 will go through the port opening on an Ikelite d200 case

  5. So far apparently only the Seacam housing and my Subal D2X housings have a port opening big enough to mount this lens.

     

    add the Aquatica line of housing in there, the 105 VR fits, sans probleme, mon ami. no fancy port or change of routine.

     

    Regards

     

    Bien le bonjour parmi nous La Flute, ce site est super !

  6. Frankly, I don't think anyone knows the answer to this question yet. I myself am very interested as well. I asked Ike this about a month ago and they did not have a lens to try it with at the time.

     

    I don't think the opening will be a problem. The current ports support lenses up to 3" in diameter (without the zoom/focus clamp. The Nikon specs say this lens is 3" in diameter, but I bet that the widest part at the MF/AF and VR buttons is a bit larger. I don't know how tight the Ikelite 3" requirement really is.

     

    If anyone has this lens and an Ikelite housing I think lots of members would like it if you could try the fit. Additionally, if you have any of the new 8" dome port extension rings I'd also like to know if these fit the lens diameter. If Ikelite follows through with the plan to add flat ports to the 8" dome port system these would be the same port diameter required.

     

    Thanks

  7. UWNewbie-

    To answer your question: The 105 will fit through the port opening into an 8" Ike dome. I have both. What i don't have is an Ike flat port but am receiving one that presumably fit on Wednesday. We will see.

    TomR1

  8. B&H lists the diameter of the 105VR as 3.3"

     

    I doubt it will work. The sigma 150mm macro works in ikelite ports but it touches the edge of the port. If it were any bigger it would not fit. The 150 has a diameter of 3.1"

    Edited by acroporas
  9. The latest.

    1-The 5" flat port from Ikelite has the same internal dimension (ID) as the 8" dome port sleeve. Ken at California Digital Diving has both ports.

    2-The 105 AF does slip through the dome sleeve, but tightly.

     

    However....

    The final 2" of the flat port has a somewhat smaller ID to engage the focus ring. The 105 is also a little smaller but.....

     

    I can try the setup tomorrow but for those who are anxious this is the latest.

  10. Thanks a lot to everybody for all the search you have done.

    I appreciate very much this forum.

    I'm waiting impatiently for the next issue.

     

    Best wishes

     

    Francis

     

    :ph34r:

  11. Ok, I am holding an Ikelite flat port for the old 105 (#5505.5), and it has an internal diameter of 87mm.

     

    According to Anny in this topic:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12969

     

    It should be wide enough for the new AFS 105. Now, it is just wait and see if it really fits in real world, but I think it does. The problem is that this lens is not readily available yet.

     

    Hey Dave (Marsh, from UW photo tech), let us know when you have them in stock.

     

    Luiz

  12. I have plenty of 105 mm VR lenses on the shelf, but no Ikelite housing, if anybody is in Montreal with an Ike housing let me know we can try it on for the good of community. I will caliper the lenses for size and let you guys know, mean while, it be nice to get somebody neutral (not me, maybe the guy with the hairy hands :rolleyes:) to do side by side charts of the D200 / 105 VR / and 10.5 fisheye, what does fit, what does it do, what's accessible and ball park figure price wise.

  13. 87MM will work. It is 83.5 around the switches and 82 around the focus ring. I will have a port tomorrow.

     

    Tom

  14. 2-The 105 AF does slip through the dome sleeve, but tightly.

    However....

    The final 2" of the flat port has a somewhat smaller ID to engage the focus ring. The 105 is also a little smaller but.....

     

     

    Great to hear that the 105mm VR fits through the 8" dome port sleve. This means there is hope of using standard 8" port exension rings to make this fit in the new port system. How tightly? Tight enough that it might damage something (oval the port or crack the lens housing?).

     

    I'm not suprised that the lens won't fit into the old 105mm focus port. I really doubt it will. That port just barely firs around the old 105mm tightly enough that it engages the focus ring. The wider lens can't fit that.

     

    I think there are two possible ports that could fit. 1) the standard non focus port 5505.5, or even something shorter like the 5505 or 5505.45 2) Maybe the 5510.24 (for the 8" dome) with a flat port adapter yet to be released. In either case I don't see any way that Ike ports will work with the zoom clam installed. A special port could theoretically be made to neck out wider and allow space for manual focusing.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.