Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite Port for 105 AF-S

Started by TomR1 ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite Port for 105 AF-S

16 posts
  1. The port does not work. At the base the port appears to be barely large enough for the M/A-M switch to clear barely but the port necks down to accomodate the old 105's manual focus ring. It appears the port would work if the manual focus ring was removed.

     

    Per request the port is the 5508.05 Focus port and the lens is the AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8G ED

     

    TomR1

     

    PS: I have lens and port in my grubby paws.

    Edited by Rocha
  2. Hi Tom,

     

    Can you specify in your posts if you are talking about the AF-D or the AF-S lens please? Otherwise, this will get confusing.

     

    Can you go back and edit this post to say that the Ike port for the AF-D lens does not work w/ the AF-S lens for example?

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. James, he must me talking about the new AF-S because it is the only one that has the M/A+M switch. I knew it wouldn't work with the manual focus port, which is specific for the old 105 micro. What I don't know is if it works with the AF port (#5505.5).

     

    Luiz

  4. Luiz,

     

    I know what he is talking about and you know what he's talking about - but many will be confused. You can't just say "the 105" anymore...

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. Yep, I agree, I also think there are too many separate topics about this same subject. Users are getting anxious...

     

    Luiz

  6. I edited the post. Yes people are anxious and their is lots of guesswork going on that's why I started a new thread.

     

    The 105 lens is the NEW Nikon autofocus lens. It focuses very fast in autofocus and is sure to be a great underwater lens if I can ever get it underwater.

     

    The Ikelite focus port is specifically designed for the OLD 105 lens. This port has a rotating ring ( gear sleeve) and two ribs that align with the focus clamp and engages it. The two ribs get in the way of the new lens and the focus ring may also decrease the ID too much.

     

    I probably could, with difficulty, remove the rotating ring and sand down the black retainer rings that roitating ring rotates within. That would give me an autofocus only 5" flat port that would be acceptable but not optimum.

     

    However, one reason I purchased Ikelite is because of their service. When I called called Ikelite it was after hours. The lady answering the phone said they had not received this lens yet. I asked about the availability of a non-focus 5" flat port (5505.5 possibly) because it appears that it would work. Unfortunately, nobody was available. Everybody had left. The nerve!!

     

    I am going to Cozumel next week and unless I am very lucky and Ikelite is very responsive whatever macro I shoot will be with the 18/70 DX lens in an 8" dome port.

     

    Anybody with other ideas?

    Edited by TomR1
  7. Thanks Tom for doing testing on this.

     

    I'm not suprised at all that the old focus port won't fit. As I posted yesterday:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13113

     

    to the other thread on this, there is no way that the wider lens will fit into the focus port sleve that is designed to just fit around the old 105mm AF focus ring.

     

    What you need is a 5505.5 for sure or maybe even the 5505.45 or a 5505. The former is the AF port for the old 105mm and latter two are shorter--since the 105mm VR AFS is internal focusing you should be able to get away with the shorter ports. It would be nice if there were one combo that would work with the 105mm VR + a dual element diopter and would work on the 60mm as well. I'm very encouraged by your test that it fits in the 8" dome extensions. Perhaps a combination of the extensions available and a new flat port could lighten my load.

  8. The lens will extend 121MM, 4.6 inches from the camera body. I will call Ikelite early next morning and see if they will drop ship a new port to me if they have one.

     

    Although Cozumel is not a great spot for shooting moving macro critters, I, and a lot of other people I suspect, would like to see what this lens can do. I assume blennies and gobies are everywhere. You just can't get a shot of them in focus.

  9. I will have a 5505.45 on Thursday. We think that will work, assuming it is long enough. The reasoning is that either end of the lens will slip into the 5508.05 until it encounters the focus assembly.

  10. I talked to Brett Foster at Ikelite. He was concerned that while the 5505.45 might fit the M/a-M switch might force the lens offcenter and put stress on the camera.

     

    I shipped him the lens today. He will look at it tomorrow. We should have a definitive answer.

  11. Current status is that Brett Foster at Ikelite increased the inside diameter of a standard housing and is sending it back to me. He said that clearances are tight and one must insure that the camera/lens is centered in the housing.

     

    I will post shots from Cozumel as I am able. I will be there from Saturday to saturday and am diving with Aqua Safari if anyone wants to connect with me.

  12. Don't you mean the diameter of the port? Increasing the diameter of the housing opening makes no sense if you don't change the port.

  13. Luiz: It does if the mount for the port is the "bottleneck" in the system ;-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  14. My understanding is NOT that the lens doesn't fit. The problem is apparantly that the M/A-M switch forces the lens off-center with respect to the port. My understanding is that the ID (inside diameter) of the port was increased somewhat to overcome this.

     

    This is a "first fix". I am sure that virtually anyone would be a better guinea pig than me because I am new to the dSLR's and Ike enclosures. Nevertheless, I'll post shots from Coz to the best of my ability.

  15. A standard 5505.45 was put on a lathe and the inside diameter was increased somewhat. The production model may be somewhat prettier than mine but will be essentially the same solution.

     

    I am obviously impressed with Ikelite turning this around this quickly.

     

    Off to Cozumel. Pictures to follow

  16. A standard 5505.45 was put on a lathe and the inside diameter was increased somewhat. The production model may be somewhat prettier than mine but will be essentially the same solution.

     

    I am obviously impressed with Ikelite turning this around this quickly.

     

    Off to Cozumel. Pictures to follow

     

    I know this is an old post but I still don't know if the 5505.5 port (for the older nikon 105mm ) will work with the newer nikon 105mm afs vr. Has anyone successfully tried this?

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.