Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

HC-3 or A1 - What would you do?

Started by shawnh ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

HC-3 or A1 - What would you do?

12 posts
  1. So it is my wife's birthday and she really wants a HD camcorder to film land shots and our 20 month old daughter growing up. I have been holding out b/c I spent all our money on my UW video set up! Well, she won't wait any longer and wants a cam now.

     

    I am thinking, well this could make a good back-up camcorder and good for land shots. In addition, in the future it could be a good UW cam for short trips (I won't mention any of this to my wife). But...the A1 cost about a grand more than the HC3.

     

    So, what should I do?

    a) Lower cost HC-1

    B) Higer cost A1

     

    How much better for land footage will the A1 be than the HC-3? Should I conside the A1 with hopes of dunking in the water some day for lighter weight short trips?

     

    Phone are open...

  2. I would choose the HC-3 for the described use. It's not worth a grand on top of the considerable investment for the use you describe. That's talking with my finance capabilities.

     

    My HC-1 has been great for above water.

     

    I did have some problems white balancing my HC-1 underwater (it would just blink the WB icon unless it was pretty light; more investigation to be done). Otherwise the camera was great.

     

    If I was considering an underwater camera I would think hard on the A1 since others reported no problems WBing.

  3. On a recent trip to Bali, I had a lot of trouble white balancing my A1 below about 30 feet (10 Meters).

     

    --Mark

  4. Hey Shawn,

    Just thought I would let you know that Sony has a $500.00 rebate on the A1U's right now, so that might drop the price difference between the HC3 and A1U quite a bit.

     

    Joe Holley

    Underwater Unlimited

    http://www.underwaterul.com

  5. Has anyone been in contact with Sony concerning the WB issue for the A1-U? It makes no sence that there would be a problem just because of low light. Perhaps this is a design issue.

    Steve B)

  6. Thanks guys.

    I went with the A-1 as it will afford more options for "professional" type shoots above water. Will let you know if I ever consider getting it wet.

    Shawn

  7. Hi all,

     

    I had no probs with white balancing the A1 at 20 metres in the dank cold murky waters of a quarry.

     

    Even though it was shite it still W/B fine. I'm hopefully hitting the Canaries soon so I'll report from there.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. Maybe I had too much light :P

     

    --Mark

  9. It won't WB unless you point it at something "white". Something gray won't work and it will continue to flash.

  10. What do people think about using the HC-3 strictly as a downloading deck saving wear and tear on their higher end cams?

    Steve <;^--> B)

  11. It won't WB unless you point it at something "white". Something gray won't work and it will continue to flash.

     

    I used both a warm card (1), and the white back of my slate. No go. I was trying a number of manual tricks to get it to work, but didn't try everything. One I didn't think of was to set the exposure way up while white ballancing.

     

    --Mark

  12. Steve,

    I have been considering the same idea. I plan to use my the A1 as the capture deck but this is still expensive! Anyone know of any cheap, relaible capture decks for hdv?

    Shawn

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.