Alternative Camera Advice
I have an Olympus C-8080 and this is a superb camera. I recently purchased an Ikelite housing for it, and went to Red Sea for a weeks diving.
I found that while this is a great setup for many it is no good for me … I had Laser Corrective surgery on my eyes a year ago, and while this has made my diving a whole lot better visually (20/20 distance vision) it has left me long sighted …
While out of water I can use the C-8080 perfectly, underwater the screen is too small for me to be able to use, unless at almost arms length, and then it’s difficult to read anyway.
I tried ‘stick in’ corrective lenses in my mask, but they did not help.
I think the way forward for me is to change the setup and get a camera that has a larger LCD screen. The Olympus has a 1.8†screen and while this is good for those with normal vision, is a problem for old sods !
Would appreciate any advice on a suitable camera, the items in the wish list would be:
A large bright screen … 2.5†or bigger
CF cards ideally (as I have several 1GB WA cards)
Low shutter lag (0.2sec or better)
7-8 Megapixel
TTL flash would be nice (but not crucial)
Good low light focussing ability
I am open to any make except SONY (memory sticks too expensive), and it does not have to be a ‘prosumer’ … would consider a good compact.
I looked at the Sea & Sea … pity the DX8000 only has a small screen.