Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which setup would you choose?

Started by Chris_Duncan ·

  • 26Posts
  • 26Replies

Read-only discussion

Which setup would you choose?

26 posts
  1. Well, I have finally completed my underwater setup. I can't believe that it took me over two months to decide on what setup to go with and then purchase all of the equipment. If you live in an area like I do, where there is very little if any underwater photo equipment dealers, deciding what you need and want is a daunting task for a newbie. Fortunately in this day and age we have forums such as wetpixel for people to share their ideas and experiences.

     

    That being said, I chose to go with the Olympus 5050, because for me personally it was the best value. I decided not to house my D60 because it would cost a significant amount more for the housing, the ports, the additional lenses I would just "have" to buy, etc.

     

    To help others putting together their system for the first time, I have laid out exactly what I purchased to complete my system, what it cost, and where I got it. All purchase amounts include shipping.

     

    Component/Cost/Store

    Camera - Oly 5050 / $629 / d-buys.com

    Housing - PT-015 / $269 / ebay

    Sea & Sea YS-90DX Strobe - used / $365 / ebay

    Sea & Sea YS-90DX Strobe - new / $425 / naturephoto in Japan

    TLC Arms - two sets 4",8",8", handle / $263 / bhphoto

    Custom Tray / $170 / Ron on digitaldiver

    2 Fiber Optic Cables for Strobes / $83 / naturephoto in Japan

    Olympus Wide-angle lens for PT-015 / $267 / naturephoto in Japan

    512MB CF Card / $140 / buy.com

    2 extra sets of o-rings for PT-015 / $35 / naturephoto in Japan

    Tube of lubricant for PT-015 o-rings / $7 / naturephoto in Japan

    2 extra o-rings for strobes / $13 / naturephoto in Japan

    extra diffuser panel for strobe / $14 / naturephoto in Japan

    TLC strobe adapters / $43 / Helix Camera

    Total $2,723

     

    Anyway, I can't wait to get the system wet, and my wife can't wait for me to stop talking about it. Now I just have to buy something to put it all in and about 100 Ni-MH batteries! Thanks for all of the advice everyone has given, directly and indirectly.

     

    Chris

  2. I assume you will be using 2000 mHa rechargable batteries.............www.thomasdistributing.com

  3. Chris, I presume you've ordered stuff from naturephoto in Japan.

     

    What was your experience in dealing with them?

     

    And have you seen the price of the PT-015 on their site? If the prices are correct it's 18,900 Yen or USD162 approx.

  4. Chris, I presume you've ordered stuff from naturephoto in Japan.

     

    What was your experience in dealing with them?

     

    And have you seen the price of the PT-015 on their site? If the prices are correct it's 18,900 Yen or USD162 approx.

    My experience has been very good so far. I just placed my order with them yesterday, and everything shipped today with a tracking number. They accepted PayPal and wire transfers into a US bank account. Because I used PayPal, the exchange rate I got wasn't as good as the market rate. I think I got an exchange rate of 113.626 when the market rate was closer to 117 at the time I ordered, but I still felt that I got a good deal on the items I purchased. Shipping for everything came to around $40, which was included in the prices I gave.

     

    If you are interested in ordering from them, you can contact them via email at: info@naturephoto.co.jp

     

    Chris

  5. One last note on NaturePhoto, I received everything I ordered from them within a week, which is pretty good considering it is coming from Japan. Also, the pre- and post-sales support has been very good. They were very prompt and helpful in answering all of my questions. I would do business with them again.

  6. Hi Chris. Glad to see you got your setup. I've been thinking about getting something similar, but as for the tray and strobes, I was considering the Epoque ES 150 Dual Hardwired/Slave Strobe Package---$999 from Ocean Brite. Not sure if anybody has any comments about it, but it seems like a good deal and accomodates the pre-flash from the Olympus 5050. What do you think about it? I'm also not sure what people think about the Epoque ES 150 strobes.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.