Just wondering if any one has used the prism for the Phenom and if so would love to hear about it.
Aloha
Bryce
Read-only discussion
Just wondering if any one has used the prism for the Phenom and if so would love to hear about it.
Aloha
Bryce
Nobody using the prism???????
There was a guy in Canada who sent me an email who had one.
He said it was good but you had to be lined up to see through it, limit angle thing.
I'll see if I can dig up his email.
$1000 AUS bucks is abit over the top I recond.
I'm with you on the over the top idea - but not if it's as good as they say it is. I just can't seem to find anyone with any first hand knowledge of it.
I don't find the need for one myself in the shooting i have done with it, several hundred dives.
Sorry guys, been too busy editing to spend much time on the boards. I ordered the PRISM monitor when Amphibico first announced them and it arrived two days before leaving for Bonaire. My first opportunity to use the Phenom housing and Z1U came this January during a trip to Roatan. Both camera and housing performed flawlessly. Wish I could say the same about the operator. Having been used to filming with an Amphibico VH-2000 housing with the 3.5" external monitor I found the transition to viewing the subject either through the viewfinder or the display window affected my buoyancy control. There was considerably more camera shake in the clips than normal. The PRISM monitor allows for the arms extended positioning that I prefer and the smoothness of the Bonaire clips bears this out, for me at least. The PRISM mounts quickly and easily but since I am also using the Amphibico 10W HID lights it is necessary to remove the monitor prior to attaching the lights. However, near the surface under strong sunlight it was difficult to discern an image on the monitor and the camera control settings were completely indistinguishable. Perhaps adjusting the brightness of the LCD panel on the camera would resolve this or even a sun shade similar to the one used on the 3.5" external monitor might be helpful.
Bottom line though; is it worth $1000? Personally, I much prefer to shoot with a monitor and the clips obtained in Bonaire were superior to the clips obtained in Roatan so that alone justifies the expense for me. However, if Amphibico were to develop a 16:9 widescreen LCD monitor (large enough to compensate for my weakening eyesight) for the Phenom housing I would probably be placing an order.
The ice is off our lakes now and dive season starts soon so there will be more opportunities to use and become familiar with the equipment. Although HD has been an expensive upgrade from SD, the quality of images is a significant improvement and I do not regret the outlay one bit.
Thanks David, don't have to find that email now.
Hey any chance of taking a pic of it on your setup.
Good to hear the ICE is melting, I had to wear my 3mm today.... brrrr its getting cold. ![]()
Wags
Amphibico IS working on an external 16.9 monitor......
If anyone suggested I leave Southern California waters and actually dive in the cold waters of Canada, I would emphatically tell them : "Take off, eh!"
If anyone suggested I leave Southern California waters and actually dive in the cold waters of Canada, I would emphatically tell them : "Take off, eh!"
I concur
Cheers for that David.
It looks like your handle is in a different position, does that modification come with the Prism?
3mm wetsuit - it must be pretty darned cold.
3mm... i wouldn't be caught dead in one... (or i might die if i was in one...) i wear a 5mm minimum.. i am a wuss...
Yea, the handle in a difft place alright, does it not get in the way of the viewer?
Yes Paul, the handle modification comes with the monitor. Sorts the balance of the housing out quite well out of water (although it still weighs a ton) and does not really impact the viewability of the monitor in the water since the tendency is to look over the handle because of the angle of the glass.
We officially start our dive season this coming weekend in one of our "fresh" water lakes. I understand water temperatures are a balmy 42F. Might not be able to use the 3mm. shorty for this one.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.