Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Anybody used PhotoShelter.com?

Started by bmyates ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Anybody used PhotoShelter.com?

8 posts
  1. I've recently had several people say they'd like to buy prints of some of my uw photos. Being a complete novice at everything other than TAKING photos (and just a few steps above novice in THAT!), I've simply told those people, "I hope to be able to do that some time - I'll let you know."

     

    Well, when updating Photo Mechanic (the browser I use to upload from my CF and SD cards), I noticed that they now have a facility to automatically upload photos to PhotoShelter.com for archiving, sale, etc.

     

    I've spent some time on PhotoShelter's website, and it looks pretty interesting. I figure I can get an idea of pricing from other photographers listed there, and it seems like it would make selling a few photos (prints or for web use) now and then pretty easy.

     

    Before I sign up for any of their services, however, I wanted to know if any of you have experience (good or bad) with them, and/or if you have other websites that you particularly like/use. I figure I can't be the only person here who'd like to know...

     

    Thanks in advance,

    Edited by bmyates
  2. I am using www.smugmug.com

    it is pretty good.

     

    i have not printed any pixs from there yet.

    i do like it's interface. it is easy to use and very easy to customize.

    here is my website: www.lchan.smugmug.com

     

    they have a professional level that allows you to essentially allow anybody to purchase your pixs with a click. You set the price, and the website takes care of the rest, printing, shipping...

     

    check it out.

     

    if you like... you can use my code: Wd5UabPuaxc2A to say I referred you.

  3. I like smugmug, too. Here's mine: http://photos.echeng.com

     

    They have some nice features, like letting you point domains and subdomains at their service.

     

    hmm. if Lawrence gets to post a referral link page for smugmug, so do i. :P

    Edited by echeng
  4. Eric - I don't mind sharing for referrals!

     

    btw... have you seen any of the prints printed from smugmug?

    just wondering the quality. They are located near Atlanta so it takes a little longer to get to us in the SF Bay Area, compared to when i was using Ofoto.

  5. I like smugmug, too.  Here's mine: http://photos.echeng.com

     

    Smugmug does look like an interesting -- and more user-friendly (e.g., easier for people to shop at, not requiring Paypal like Photoshelter does).

     

    Eric, how did you manage to eliminate the "smugmug" from your address, and not have "Smugmug" show up anywhere on your home page?

     

    From what I can see, they only give you the option of having an address like Lawrence's, where it's www.XYZ.smugmug.com and with their advertising all over it...

  6. Smugmug has an option for pointing your domain name at their site. It's only available in the "Pro" package.

  7. Hey Guys,

     

    Just wanted to throw my support for PhotoShelter.com -- I've been a member for a while now, and here are some of the best features.

     

     

    Damn Cheap

    - Basic accounts for storage start at $5.99 per month

     

    Ridiculous amount of Selling Options

     

    - Get this - At PhotoShelter you sell your prints via automated process (like all other sites) but ALSO, now they have the option of "self-fulfillment". Print your own work, outsource to another printing company, whatever you want to do.

     

    Upload right out of PhotoMechanic

     

    - I don't know how many of you use PhotoMechanic but now uploading is damn simple. Right from the program I can upload to my online archive.

     

    There are so many more reasons I'm in love with PhotoShelter, email me if you want more info. Timothy.Kau@gmail.com

     

    What I've found is that PhotoShelter can be daunting at first - it is vastly superior and more comprehensive to the gimmicky sites at there. But once you know how to use it, and their help section is good and getting better, this is by far the best archival, distribution and e-commerce solution out there.

  8. What I've found is that PhotoShelter can be daunting at first - it is vastly superior and more comprehensive to the gimmicky sites at there. But once you know how to use it, and their help section is good and getting better, this is by far the best archival, distribution and e-commerce solution out there.

    Sounds intriguing. Do you have a link to your site, so we can check out what you've done?

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.