Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wetpixel Spam?

Started by harrym ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Spam?

6 posts
  1. Is it a coincidence or is it Wetpixel?

     

    I noticed that after I registered my e-mail address with Wetpixel, the number of SPAM messages that I received went up dramatically. The number of messages in my SPAM folder increased from ten or twenty per day to 200-300 per day!

     

    Many of the new SPAM messages were about camera and electronic sales, not porn.

     

    Anyone else have this trouble?

  2. Hi Harry,

     

    Just for the record, we don't release any email addresses. If you have elected in your profile to allow other members to send you emails - they can send them that way, but it's definitely NOT easy to spam that way, and it doesn't give out the actual email address.

     

    One sure way to get on spammer's lists is to buy electronics online from a big retailer. That would be my first guess. I use a service called Spamgourmet.com when I shop online which issues "disposable" email addresses. It allows me to see who's sending spam to them - which is quite interesting. NEVER give your email address to buy.com :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Okay, I bet it was that underwater camera/housing purchase (right after I registered at Wetpixel) that started the avalanche of SPAM.

     

    So.... for the record, it was B&H photo. I have been doing business with them for decades, but never before through the internet until this last purchase.

    Edited by harrym
  4. Okay, I bet it was that underwater camera/housing purchase (right after I registered at Wetpixel) that started the avalanche of SPAM.

     

    So.... for the record, it was B&H photo. I have been doing business with them for decades, but never before through the internet until this last purchase.

    It’s hard to believe that the spam source is from B&H, I'm doing business with them for more then 5-6 years and didn't got any spam that looks somehow related to this store. (All my purchases where online)

  5. Ditto for Arnons statements here also.

  6. Okay..... So where did all the SPAM suddenly come from?

     

    Seems like a coincidence. I registered at Wetpixel, researched underwater camera systems, then made a purchase at B&H Photo.....

     

    Then there was an avalanche of SPAM regarding underwater cameras, digital cameras and other electronics. Now it's up to 50 to 60 message per hour.

     

    I have not shared my e-mail with anyone on Wetpixel. I have been dealing with B&H Photo for 30+ years.

     

    I'm just asking, trying to figure out why I am suddenly getting all of this photography and electronic SPAM.

    Edited by harrym
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.