Hi, I have a 5D and 20D, and am hoping to take one of them underwater. I work in a whale watching company and have been taking pictures for 3 years now. I have a 17-40 f/4 and a 100 F/2.8. I was thinking of getting the 5D with the 17-40 (or 50 f/1.8) in a ikelite to take pictures of whales and Dolphins (I work in a whale-watching company). However the Idea of a flooding terrifies me, does it happen? is insurance a must? How much does it cost?
Would apreciate any responses, been using a oly 5050, so expensive gear is new to me, thanks, Azorean.
Also, you can use the built-in SEARCH feature in the forums, which always yields a lot of info...
I have the H20 Dan insurance. We flooded a camera in April. I filed a claim & got replacement cost. You will need to keep up with original receipts (can't remember if this is optional or required) I called the company I had bought from & they faxed me the invoice. You also have to verify the loss by having someone email them from a website. A person we dove with has an internet site & he emailed them saying it was ruined. The only problem I had was my own fault. You have to prove the price of the camera as it is today. My camera is outdated & hard to find on the net. I finally found one that was just the body & faxed that page to them explaining it also had a lens when I bought it. They cut a check for the body only price. I had to get the same guy to email saying it had a lens on it also. I also finally found a site with the camera & lens as a set. I faxed this to them & got a second check in the mail. When this was all straightened,out the checks came quickly. Just have all your ducks in a row before you insure.