Eric and others-
I spent about 5 hours on the phone with both DAN and DEPP this past week. I have policies with both... I've been with DEPP for about 5 years, DAN for 2. Yes, DAN's policy just went up 30%+ and also added a couple of exclusions. Long ago, DEPP's flood premium wasn't too bad... then it went up... DAN offered a slightly better rate on gear until you actually flood it... then, because deductible is so high, you pay through the shorts.
Now, with DAN's increases, I think DEPP offers the better plan- at least if you don't need to insure everything for flood.
I never have flooded gear, but with the new pricey digital cameras out there now it's a real concern. By far the biggest risk for me is theft or loss while traveling.
You are right- DAN's new exclusion (loss, wash overboard, etc.) sucks. I spoke at length with Jay about it. I brought up the emergency camera ditch situation, and they won't cover it. And if I'm standing in a boat shooting whales and drop camera over, they won't cover it anymore. Bad news.
I also argued about the practicality of filing a police report IMMEDIATELY in some overseas locations... Believe me, this sometimes is not possible. DAN couldn't comment...
DAN's problem- no screening mechanism. No price breaks for good record (ie no claims). Lots of claims have resulted in them losing big bucks, according to the execs. DAN has just priced themselves out of the game, if you have lots of gear (say 20-40k) to insure.
Everyone needs to take a serious look at the deductibles... work the numbers between the two plans... for example, to insure say one $10 k gear setup (1ds, lens, and housing, for ex) for flood for one year, and to flood it that year, costs approx $750 for DEPP and $1300 for DAN...
Work the numbers for your own situation....
brandon