Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Official Insurance Thread

Started by wetpixel ·

  • 225Posts
  • 225Replies

Read-only discussion

Official Insurance Thread

225 posts
  1. Thank you all for the info...

     

    @divemaster: unfortunately it is only for people living in U.K. - got thi smessage from them:

    "Many thanks for your email. Unfortunately we are only able to provide this type of cover directly to UK residents therefore we will not be able to assist you in this instance."

     

    @Wolfgang: I started to negotiate with this insurance (Uniqa). The fare is 11% of the equipment value, so in case the equipment is worth 15000 Euro it is an annual fee of 1650 Euro. Seems to much to me (I think that probably not the netire equipment will be stolen or flooded at once and the actual damage sum will be considerably less). I think I will bear the risk on my own then...

     

    Interested to hear how others deal with this risk (insurance or not? what rate? how much coverage?)

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  2. Interested to hear how others deal with this risk (insurance or not? what rate? how much coverage?)

     

    Wolfgang

     

    I just figure that if my equipment gets flooded (has happened only once so far, luckily with a cheap GoPro knockoff, so I didn't really care), it is my fault and I will cover the cost myself, ie I self-insure.

     

    .

  3.  

    I just figure that if my equipment gets flooded (has happened only once so far, luckily with a cheap GoPro knockoff, so I didn't really care), it is my fault and I will cover the cost myself, ie I self-insure.

     

     

    Well the main reason why I will get an insurance for my equipment is acutally not necessarily the loss of money that comes with a flooding. It is much more the plus of safety you get while diving. If you're pretty deep and your moisture warning goes off, its much easier to stay "relaxed" if you know that all your costs are going to be covered, not matter in what state your camera reaches the surface. Starting to panic because you gear is litterally flooding in front of your eyes is the first step towards a possible diving accident. So for me this is primarily a safety issue.. not for the gear, but for myself.

  4. Maybe this info is of interest for UW photographers in Austria (and other parts of Europe). It was not easy to find an affordable insurance in my country:

     

    I just made a contract with "Fotofairsicherung" (https://www.fotofairsicherung.de/kameraversicherung/) - insured is equipment for 8000 Euro (From these 6500 Euros also for use underwater). The yearly fee is 251,22 Euro at a deductible of 125 Euros. It is a special insurance for UW-fotografers, even the TC is insured...

     

    I hope I never will need the insurance, but it calms my mind when going to diving vacations...

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  5. On 2/4/2019 at 1:58 PM, Architeuthis said:

    Maybe this info is of interest for UW photographers in Austria (and other parts of Europe). It was not easy to find an affordable insurance in my country:

     

    I just made a contract with "Fotofairsicherung" (https://www.fotofairsicherung.de/kameraversicherung/) - insured is equipment for 8000 Euro (From these 6500 Euros also for use underwater). The yearly fee is 251,22 Euro at a deductible of 125 Euros. It is a special insurance for UW-fotografers, even the TC is insured...

     

    I hope I never will need the insurance, but it calms my mind when going to diving vacations...

     

    Wolfgang

    Just a short (positive) update on "Fotofairsicherung":

    During a dive trip this year in Raja Ampat (February/March 2020) we had a speedboat-captain who was a ruffian, especially to our photographic equipment. As a result the sealing cap of a Z330 and a Weefine 2300 focus light were damaged, the focus light beeing a total loss. Financial loss amounted to approx. 400 Euros. Of course no chance to get reimbursed by these poor people (I guess his salary for the diving Safari was less than the damage he coused), so I even did not even attempt to ask for it. At home I sent a damage report with photos and a quote from my local dealer (Unterwasserkamera.at) to "Fotofairsicherung". I got the money minus deductible quickly - the yearly fee already paid itself. I hope that this was the last damage happening, but it is a good feeling to be insured ...

    Wolfgang

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.