Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

4GB Microdrives announced

Started by marriard ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

4GB Microdrives announced

21 posts
  1. Oh yeah - that say by the end of fall (so more likely Christmas). That is 320 full RAW images on my Fuji S2Pro. Even if I upgrade to a camera that does 14MP oe even 20MP that is a HUGE amount of images at top quality.

     

    DPREVIEW copy of the news release

     

    *drool* *drool*

     

    Me wantee!

    M

  2. Yeah, I saw that too Paul. IBM sold their Microdrive division to Toshiba it looks like. Interesting.

     

    I agree that 4gb is awesome. It's only a matter of time.

     

    What I would like to see in the future is a 4GB drive that has a wireless card integrated. Then we can download photos from the camera without opening the housing.

     

    The cards exist now - but the on-camera software doesn't. Just imagine this for photojournalism. Carry a laptop in your backpack and have the pictures download to the laptop in between shots...:)

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. 'loks... I just bought 2 ones. This is usually an omen that something bigger or better is coming along next day

     

    James: You're a lazy so & so!!!

     

    As far as your idea goes why not just mass induce them directly into the brain?

  4. The cards exist now - but the on-camera software doesn't.  Just imagine this for photojournalism.  Carry a laptop in your backpack and have the pictures download to the laptop in between shots...:P

    Oh boy, I can just see poor Ike designing new underwater housings for laptops! Ike, get out of the business while your sanity is still intact. :)

  5. The cards exist now - but the on-camera software doesn't.  Just imagine this for photojournalism.  Carry a laptop in your backpack and have the pictures download to the laptop in between shots...:)

    Just imagine. I wont need a camera anymore. I'll just carry a laptop and stand within transmit distance of every pro and use their images :-)

     

    Hehe. By the time the photojournalist got back to the office I'll have it on the internet :-)

  6. NO you wouldn't - I never dive without my satelite uplink!!!

  7. NO you wouldn't - I never dive without my satelite uplink!!!

    Ah, but did you secure it properly... or do you just think you did???

     

     

    :ph34r:

     

    M

  8. Hi!

     

    To get a bit more serious again. I read about the new technology they use in the 4GB drive. The heads hoover over the surface like flying a jumbo jet a few feet over ground. That sounds a bit sensitive towards shock or vibration.

    I had a bad experience with a 1GB MicroDrive. It tipped over when I did a backup from the SM card to the MD (my camera has got 2 slots). I had the camera standing on the front lense (to get better access to the buttons) and the floor was soft and covered by a rug too.

    Height: approx. 13cm.

    The result: total loss of data. Head crash. I got a replacement from IBM without any troubles but lots of nice shoots were lost (I viewed them on the TV set before).

    I woudln't dare to submerge a MicroDrive, not even when the sea is calm.

     

    What's your experience, so far?

     

    Most of the time I use two 128MB SM alternating and a 512MB CF and 1GB MD for backup. This setting is good for 84 pictures per dive (5Mpix, jpeg 1:8)

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  9. Hi Helge,

     

    i use a MD in My S40 on my last diving trip my camera and housing fell approx. 1,5 m down on the ships floor when I was climbing aboard. The camera has nice "Beule" ;-) but is still fully functional. the MD had absolutly no problems and the camera was on!

     

    Simon

    (Grüße aus Frankfurt)

  10. Hi!

     

    To get a bit more serious again. I read about the new technology they use in the 4GB drive. The heads hoover over the surface like flying a jumbo jet a few feet over ground. That sounds a bit sensitive towards shock or vibration.

    I had a bad experience with a 1GB MicroDrive. It tipped over when I did a backup from the SM card to the MD (my camera has got 2 slots). I had the camera standing on the front lense (to get better access to the buttons) and the floor was soft and covered by a rug too.

    Height: approx. 13cm.

    The result: total loss of data. Head crash. I got a replacement from IBM without any troubles but lots of nice shoots were lost (I viewed them on the TV set before).

    I woudln't dare to submerge a MicroDrive, not even when the sea is calm.

     

    What's your experience, so far?

     

    Most of the time I use two 128MB SM alternating and a 512MB CF and 1GB MD for backup. This setting is good for 84 pictures per dive (5Mpix, jpeg 1:8)

     

    Helge ;-)=)

    I have three microdrives that I use. I have not had an issue with any of them - they have worked flawlessly. They have been out in 8' seas and through some pretty rough handling. No issues.

     

    I had heard that the earlier microdrives were a lot more sensitive than the newer ones - which is probably true of pretty much all technology.

     

    M

  11. My microdrive corrupted two batches of images a few weeks ago -- first time I've had problems with it. It was enough to make me buy another 512MB CF type I card, so I won't have to use the microdrive unless I absolutely have to.

  12. I guess you're a microdrive fan until you lose some images...:-( Then you don't like them so much.'

     

    FWIW, you can lose images with both CF and MD. I've talked to people from both categories. It's certainly frustrating.

     

    Not like that never happens with film! I didn't get the film wound onto the spool on my NikV properly once - when I got to shot 37, then 38, then 39, I knew something was wrong.

     

    Of course, the Bull Shark swam by at around shot 21...:)

     

    Cheers

    James

  13. I've been a big MicroDrive fan, too, but one of mine has started to fail. Fortunately I was only playing so I didn't lose anything.

     

    I'm disappointed but I'm getting 1GB flash cards instead. At least we have that option now.

  14. Hi!

     

    I still use my MD. No question. I just decide very carefully when. Acording to the specification it's nearly indestructible. There seem to be a few moments during a write operation where it seems to be quite vulnerable though.

    CF memory in contrast doesn't have to fear the mechanical hazards. It's only the power loss, humidity and extreme temperature ;-( but it's at least one less than the MD.

    Furthermore, I don't carry a notebook on my dive trips but use the MD as a storage for all my images during a trip (maybe I should switch to an Imagetank but using the camera on the TV or putting the CF card into my PDA is so tempting).

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  15. Crikey, reading some of these reports why take the risk with MD. I shall continue using CF 256/SM 128. Although I would'nt mind getting hold of a couple of 512's from the US. Any purchase/carriage takers(to the UK) ?

     

    Mark

  16. The next generation of memory option has already been realised... The Blue Wave Disk. a 1" cased disk holds 1 gb the 2" 6 gb and 5" 30 gb. I am sure these will be replacing the MD if it's not proving too reliable.

     

    James: I took all the best images the world had been waiting for on several occasions - Hurried film change - not caught on winder spool!

    Ironically, this is not too far from the truth... It's as though the fish know the film is not winding on and they come right up to your mask and whisper "Moron!"

  17. Increasing capacity is one thing. Compatability is another. If you're talkin x amount of Gb how many non 'top-end' cameras will work with them? Very few is my bet!

  18. They will fit the next generation of Super cameras

  19. Super cameras

    This makes me giggle. How long before the camera jumps in on its own & does all the work for you, leaving you to catch the sun!.........In fact we could call it a ROC......remote operating camera. LOL :)

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.