Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Planet Earth, the series

Started by echeng ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Planet Earth, the series

13 posts
  1. I just watched the first episode of Planet Earth. Simply incredible.

     

    Make it a priority to find and see this thing. I can't wait to see the rest!!!

     

    Any idea how Americans can get ahold of it legally? (it's available via bittorrent, but is probably not legal to download)

     

    Any idea on when the remaining 5 episodes will air in the UK?

     

    There is good info on the series on wikipedia.

     

    I am hugely inspired right now.

    Edited by echeng
  2. Eric,

     

    It is great, isn't it. Did you see it in High Definition? The remaining episodes are expected to air in UK in the autumn (should I say 'fall'). Peter Scoones talk on the making of this and other series at Ocean Optics a few weeks ago was great. I hadn't realised that he also makes most of the housings the BBC uses in these series.

     

    Fergus

  3. The whole series will be out on DVD, but i'd guess after the other episodes are aired..

  4. Wiki says, "A four-disc DVD set of the complete series (BBCDVD1883) is scheduled for release on 4 December 2006," but the BBC store says it will be out Nov 27.

     

    Unfortunately, I saw it at a much lower resolution than HD, but it still looked pretty good. It was... higher res than DVD, but compressed a lot.

  5. i saw the first 4 of the 5 that have been aired whilst back in the uk but missed number 5 (deserts) .

     

    the added part to each show which shows how they filmed it is outstanding - caves was my favourite (almost decided to give up photography when i saw what they went through - and the equipment)

     

    it almost makes blue planet seem mediocre.

    Edited by whitehead
  6. I actually had a DVD of the first episode with me on the Shearwater in March! But we were all a bit busy with the real thing (and angry dragons) and my DVD wouldn't play on the US DVD player.

     

    Actually that is something to be aware of if buying a Euro DVD in the States as it is quite rare in the States to have multi-region DVD players - as most films are released in Region 1 first, anyway!

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. I was chatting to cameraman Peter Scoones about it and he said that they were also going to make a cinematic film version of it from all the best bits!

  7. Luckily, I use a computer for all of my media, so playing Euro DVDs are not a problem. I'm going to block out my schedule this week to watch the rest of the 5. :P

     

    Can't wait for the film version!

  8. Any idea how Americans can get ahold of it legally? (it's available via bittorrent, but is probably not legal to download)

    Understood (Cayman has no copyright laws though)

     

    however say someone had tried this, and the quality was too poor to watch where would one find a good version to bt ? I got one from Pirate Bay doesn't have it and New Nova was poor quality. Those are my Fave's where else should i look ?

     

    Or alternatively Alex ? you say you have it on DVD when you coming to Cayman ?

    Edited by digitallywet
  9. There are some links on torrentspy.

  10. I think that's enough for providing tips. Let's move on to discussing the actual doco. :P

  11. I think it is great - and not as boring as Blue Planet. BP was impressive visually, but the overall story-telling (not in the individual sequences) was plodding. It seemed to be just a list of examples rather than building up an interesting argument. The Deep Blue film was better in that respect, and I think Planet Earth is much improved in that respect too.

     

    My only criticism of both these series is that everyone says their favourite bits are the "how they did it" films. Which kind of suggests that the main documentary itself isn't perhaps as good as it should be. Although I can't see how it could be improved?

     

    Alex

  12. My only criticism of both these series is that everyone says their favourite bits are the "how they did it" films. Which kind of suggests that the main documentary itself isn't perhaps as good as it should be. Although I can't see how it could be improved?

     

     

    I suspect this may be because people like watching people... in the main programs there is very little in the way of "people" footage. I agree that the main programs feel rather "plodding" as well, while the "how we did it" sections are faster moving.

     

    Many of the earlier David Attenborough series featured Attenborough speaking to camera frequently, while in Blue Planet he's mainly a voice over.

  13. i just read that the dvd release will also include the 2 episodes of "are we changing planet earth" which will def' give it the documentary bite that the additional parts added to the release of blue plant did (i have seen the first of the two parts - the second should be aired this week i believe). from a purely photographic perspective the way the programme compares the old (70s i think) life on earth series with the current situation (i.e. footage in photographic terms) really shows how photograph technology AND technique has improved. Ufortunately i have now discovered my own technique is "stuck in the 70s".

     

    Attenborough uses the comparision with his "life on earth" beautifully to illustrate "in my lifetime". guess you will have to watch to undertsand ;*)

     

    i also got to watch the deserts 5/5 programme - which whilst not holding my attention too much had a couple of extordinary scenes in it (the flat lizards and the flash flood). the elephants shots in the desert were exceptional also.

     

    But the flash flood in particular becuase of the forward planning it must have took. I think thats what i appreciate about them the most - because they give an insight into the dedication, complexity and sheer stamina of producing such footage.

     

    if anyone is also more interested in harder documentary pieces i would definitely recommend Horizons - the dimming effect - its a real eye opener on a global issue i had not even been aware of in global climate terms. Quite scary.

    Edited by whitehead
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.