Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

How many Mega Pixels?

Started by IMSushi ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

How many Mega Pixels?

20 posts
  1. If I have no other professional aspirations, how many mega pixels will be fine if I ever wanted to blow up one of my images to 32in. x 26in. on canvas? 5, 6, 8, 10, 12? This is the other variation in cameras that might persuade me to purchase Nikon D70s vs Canon Rebel XT...SonyA100.

  2. The answer depends really on what you're printing and what the viewing distance would be. If folks expect to press their noses onto the canvas then you're talking 12x18 Max with most current mid-end DSLRs, higher with say the 5D, 1Ds,D200 & D2x. But if the viewer stands back 2-3 feet then no problem. Billboards are printed with 1-2 dpi because the viewer is usually tens of yards away.

     

    Printing on canvas wouldn't likely require as much resolution as the medium itself will provide texture. As for camera resolution, some wildlife pros have has successfully printed out images at 20x30 using the original Nikon D1 (2.7MP) and Canon 1D (4 MP) . I've gone up to 30x40 though (20x30 look much better) with images taken with my 10D (6.3 MP) and know of mural sized shots printed from the 10D & D60. If you're printing an image with not too much detail, say that of a human portrait with smooth skin, it would pretty much be the limit of your printer. But if you were doing a print of a detailed land/reef scape at the size you mentioned then 6 MP would be a starting point....a very well shot, sharp and properly exposed 6 MP image.

     

    my 2 cents.

     

    s.

  3. What scubastu said, but would like to add a few things. The number of pixels is not as important as the quality of pixels. This basically translates into the way the pixels are processed by your cameras sensor and internal processor. To this day, one of my primary camera bodies is the Nikon D1h. At 2.74 mp, this camera rivals my D200 in certain circumstances such as wide angle and super telephoto work. The D200 at 10.2 mp is a phenomenal camera for macro work and wide angle close ups. Both of these camera's produce incredible prints of 24" or larger. My point is, pixels don't really matter as much as the manufacture's would like us to believe.

     

    Secondly, shooting an image correctly from beginning and the quality of your optics are far more important than megapixels.

  4. Hi -

     

    I've printed 30 x 40 with a file from a d70 (6mps) from pictopia.com. i thought the printer did a great job and the image (to my eye) did not look "pixellated". It is the largest image i've printed and I'm not sure if pictopia uses any technology (software) to enlarge before final print to to acheive better results.

     

    M.

    Edited by Starbuck
  5. Ken Rockwell... ;) snort! I'd REALY put a lot of credibility on a guy who'll review a DSLR solely by the spec sheets. Believes the D70 is the end all and be all of all DSLRs because sync speed is up to 1/500th. Not that the D70 is a bad camera, but c'mon...

     

    Read this instead:

     

    from Canon Europe: http://www.cps.canon-europe.com/articles/a...rticleId=100300

     

    and another good website: www.interpolatethis.com

     

     

     

    Edited by scubastu
  6. Point taken. (as you refer us to a Canon website ;) )

    Nevertheless I think his article makes a good point that getting caught up in chasing megapixels as the primary factor is great for the camera manufacturers, but not necessarily the most important decision for the buyer. It is also of course inevitably frustrating as a newer higher megapixel camera is realeased a few days after one buys a camera. Obviously Rockwell is partial to Nikon, but in this particular article, brand name is immaterial, and I think he discusses the topic in a way that we tech challenged folks can understand.

  7. Loftus,

     

    It was not a Nikon vs Canon thing. If you remember my 1st post, I said that the D1 was even capable of 20x30 images, something Chewie70 said. I'm simply saying that Ken Rockwell's advise is best taken with tongue firmly in cheek.

     

    Even drum scanned 35mm film is hard pressed to beat the image quality of a D2x (I believe Alex showed this) or a 1Ds2. I'd hazard to say the 5D and D200 would be pretty darn close.

     

    The stunning image quality produced by Canon's AND Nikon's DSLRs will easily produce 20x30 or larger images if the photographer does his part. If fact, my dream camera would have the body features of the D200 and the image sensor of a 5D.... ;)

     

    A blind comparo done by Outdoor Photography on images printed using 180 to 360 dpi files using a high end photo printer at 12x18 proved that there was a barely discernible difference between all of them.

     

    Have fun with Rockwell. I'm waiting for a 30x40 print from my 5D. :P

     

    stu

  8. I think we are really agreeing. My point (and I think the take home point from Rockwells article) is simply that as you say, all these cameras will produce great pics and enlargements; more important I think is to choose a camera that has the features and versatility, as well as the pricepoint you want for the type of photography one wants to do including topside. Example - the need for built in flash may be more important for some, and may preclude the 5D. From IMSushi's post it seems the 5D and probably even the D200 are above his pricepoint.

    Maybe we can dicscuss this more over a few beers someday.

    Jeff

  9. Jeff and others, thanks for the debate/conversation. Yes, one of the main reasons I was looking at the "mid range" cameras was that I am not a professional photographer, so I don't think I really need a camera such as the D200 or 5D. In fact, this will be my first SLR of any kind. I am kind of searching for that holy grail of best bang for your buck. One that I can definitely grow into and still appreciate 5 years from now. It is going to be enough money to pour into lenses and a housing, let alone spend an extra $1000US on an upper level camera. Maybe in the future! We'll see.

     

    I am really leaning towards the D70s, even though it has 1.9 MP less than the Canon Rebel XT equivalent. I am starting to feel this way because of how I have been told how the Nikon post processing software may be better than Canon's? and make the image quality equal or even a little better? What do you think?

  10. Another real world answer to your question.

     

    I'm looking at a 20 x 30 blowup from my D70 that is stunning at any distance.

     

    Karl

    Edited by kdietz
  11. Sorry, I have never used the Nikon software. I think it is quite likely that both Nikon and Canon software will produce similar image qualities, it will just come down to which interface you prefer to use etc. I just went straight to using Photoshop CS2 and Camera Raw, and I have used Photomechanic for organizing images. Just recently I have been playing with Aperture (Mac only, and newer faster Macs only) to import, organize, and do most of my manipulation. I really like it more and more as I get used to it. I only go to Photoshop now if I want to do more complex manipulations.

    I think it is a good idea to hold both cameras in your hand, play with the controls, see which you prefer. I prefer the ergonomics of Nikons, but that is a very personal thing. I have loved Nikons since my first Nikon F. One last point, at least on this website it seems there are a lot more D70's out there in the underwater world than XT's, and this may be a consideration when considering possibly buying used gear, housings etc as folks tend to upgrade.

    Jeff

  12. I have had both camers in my hand. I prefer the feel of the D70s because the XT is really small and my hand feels cramped, but these are going to be in an UW housing making size a Moot point. I like the feel of the D70s buttons to the XT, but again it is going to be in a housing, making this also a moot point.

     

    As far as software, I also have a new Mac, making the use of Aperture possible. I've been using iPhoto (very basic prg.) and just learning Photoshop CS.

     

    The Nikon vs Canon thing seems to be a lot like PC vs Mac. Those that love Mac (Nikon) will always love Mac (Nikon) and nothing else.

     

    I think I may have just answered my own question?!

     

    Are 2 MP really that big of a deal?

    Edited by IMSushi
  13. I am really leaning towards the D70s, even though it has 1.9 MP less than the Canon Rebel XT equivalent.  I am starting to feel this way because of how I have been told how the Nikon post processing software may be better than Canon's? and make the image quality equal or even a little better?  What do you think?

     

    I know nothing about Nikon's software, but I like Canon's Digital Photo Professional. I find that I like the color of its outputs better than Photoshop CS2, and I think it's faster. I think its user interface still needs work, but then I'm not happy with the one in CS2 either. It's not bad for free software that comes with the camera.

     

    Here's my $0.02 on the two:

     

    Rebel XT advantages:

     

    ISO 100

    Lower noise: lets you shoot at higher ISO and more room to correct under exposure

    8M pixels

    100mm macro USM lens: Nikon has a new USM and VR 105 that's bigger and more expensive

     

    D70s advantages:

     

    10.5 mm FE lens

    electronic shutter, xsync at any speed

    Edited by herbko
  14. Well good luck. Button control/placement on the outside will to some extent translate to button control in a housingIt seems you are inclined toward the D70. There should be lots of used housings out there as folks have upgraded to the D200. The 10.5 FE is a great lens.

    Jeff

  15. I think we are really agreeing....Maybe we can dicscuss this more over a few beers someday.

    Jeff

     

     

    Jeff, Sounds good to me!

     

    IMSushi, I have 3 images from my 10D printed to 20x30using a Kodak LEDPrinter, you can put your nose to the print and still have no pixelation. The D70 is more than capable of getting up to those print sizes if you do your part. As for a RAW Converter, my Nikon shooting friends don't bother with the Nikon Capture Software and use CS2. I personally don't like the Digital Photo Pro for Canon and use Raw Shooter Premium...especially when there's a sunball in the image. I have better control using RSP than CS2. However, final colour correction is done in CS2.

     

    Best of luck

     

    Stu

  16. Ken Rockwell... ;) snort!  I'd REALY put a lot of credibility on a guy who'll review a DSLR solely by the spec sheets.  Believes the D70 is the end all and be all of all DSLRs because sync speed is up to 1/500th.  Not that the D70 is a bad camera, but c'mon...

     

    I have nothing against Ken Rockwell personally, but as the end all of photo knowledge, he leaves a LOT to be desired. He states opinions as fact, and confuses issues by using technical buzzwords in ways that are unrelated, and often incorrect. Here's a perfect example from the referenced article:

     

    "For instance, inkjet printers' nozzle sizes are the silly 2880 DPI or other numbers you see. These printer numbers are often used by hucksters to hoodwink and distract you when talking about resolution. These only refer to how the ink is spat out on the paper."

     

    Printer manufactures are not hoodwinking anyone, they are supplying the spec on THEIR product. Nozzle sizes are NOT represented by DPI, but generally by drop technology and picoleters (inkjets).

     

    Why he includes this statement in an article about CAMERA resolution is beyond me other than to grandstand and Hoodwink those that don't know any better.

     

    How ink is sprayed onto paper may not matter when you are shooting an image, but it matters a WHOLE lot when you are printing an image.

     

    Ken Rockwell is proof that if you are loud enough (so to speak) people will follow you!

     

    Ron

  17. If you want to go large, than the more megapixels the better. For measurbators here is a good site that does a LOT better job in presenting mpix comparisons that most, and these guys don't mess around, they compare everything from the 1Ds to the largest backs out there:

     

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/back-testing.shtml

     

    One thing that seems to be left out of the mpix discussion is sensor size. As the cameras you are asking about are a DSLR's with similar sized sensors, the sensor size is not of paramount importance, however it should be noted that comparing an 8mpix PnS camera to an 8 mpix DSLR with a sensor 6+ times the size is comparing apples to walnuts.

     

    One reason to avoid the A100 is that there is no UW housing for it, and no manufacture has commited to making one. A second reason would be that in five years, it's impossible to know if Sony will have been successful with this body. If they are not, then support, lenses, accessories may all dry up and be difficult to obtain.

     

    If you want to compare the Canon Rebel with the D70 you may want to check out www.dpreview.com Phil does a great job of objectively reviewing digital cameras.

     

    To address a couple comments about the D70, it does NOT sync at any shutter speed. The byproduct of their shutter design is that it can sync to 1/500 a second, which is nice. I miss that on the D200.

     

    The difference in image quality between the two cameras is minor and subjective. The major considerations then becomes ergonomics, and glass. Nikon seems to have a bit of an edge with their wide angle lenses (www.photodo.com). The Canon 17-35mm f2.8 (3.2) vs. the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 (4.2) is rather a large difference in quality.

     

    As someone indicated the Canon 100mm macro (4.2) if very high qualily, but so is Nikons 105mmf2.8 (3.9), so there is not a lot of difference there.

     

    I shoot Nikon, and always have at least for 35mm SLR/DSLR's. I like the ergonomics a lot better, however part of this is likely just what I'm used to. Keep in mind that camera's are tools, and should be evaluated as such.

     

    Canon has a slight edge over Nikon in controlling noise at high ISO's. However it has been shown that this is more of an issue with in camera processing. Software like neat image can clean up the Nikon image to match the high ISO quality of Canon's in camera processing. Shooting in RAW with sharpening off using a Canon vs. a Nikon yeilds little difference depending upon the model.

     

    The main thing about shooting high ISO with either camera is nailing the exposure, and this spills over into all apects of shooting and the individuals photography skills. The better an image is in camera, the less post processing will be necessary.

    Edited by RonFrank
  18. Thanks for the link, it's a great site. I promise I will never mention the K.n R...kw....l word again. ;)

  19. Agree with most of Ron's sentiments, but do have to point out one thing...

     

    To address a couple comments about the D70, it does NOT sync at any shutter speed. The byproduct of their shutter design is that it can sync to 1/500 a second, which is nice. I miss that on the D200.

    The D70's sync speed is limited by the speed at which the strobe can discharge. For some strobes, this allows exposures far quicker than 1/500th.

    See D70 High Speed Flash Sync

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.