Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Another fish or eel I've never seen

Started by RebreatherDave ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Another fish or eel I've never seen

5 posts
  1. Also a HiDef video frame capture, also 20 feet of salt water right in front of the beach in Puerto Galera, Philippines.

     

    Can't tell what it is.

    post-4706-1150519391_thumb.jpg

  2. Looks like a Napoleon snake eel, Ophychthys bonaparti.

  3. Did you see my other weird baby snapping turtle looking thing posted here?

    Thanks!

     

    I'm doing my best to ignore that one! If ever there was a time to use a rod to move something it was when you saw that whatever it is. Was it even alive?

  4. Leslie, it was alive alright, I have it on a shaky HiDef video (ok, so I need to get an underwater tripod) and you can see if occassionally open and close it's mouth somewhat as if pumping water over gills.

     

    I think it is a Brachysomophis cirrocheilos, or Stargazer Eel. That species seems to also have a flatttened dorsal area behind its head and a camouflaged eye and abbreviated rostrum structure.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.