I found this blenny on the north shore of Cuba (halfway Havana & Varadero) at less than 1m depth. I can't find a clear match in Humann & Deloach. The closest resemblance is with the Gray colour variation of the redlip blenny (page 322) which shows a few markings on the head area, but not the clear line running from lip to eye. There were plenty of redlips in this area but all of those looked like standard redlips. Can anyone confirm this is a redlip. If so, is this a normal colour pattern, any relation to behavioural state? If it's something else I'd obviously also would like to know.
That's it, red lip blenny, they are very variable in color.
Luiz
That's it, red lip blenny, they are very variable in color.
Humann & Deloach is a great book but the variety of colour variations is just too great to capture on paper. I'll send this picture to Dave Cullen's FishDB site (http://www.fishdb.co.uk/) which collects many pictures of each species so you can get a better feel of the variability.