Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Help with Strobes!!!

Started by J I M ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Help with Strobes!!!

8 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    My first post on here so here goes....... ;)

     

    I have a Canon S80 and am looking at getting a housing. I think I have decided on the Ikelite 6140.08 now!

     

    I have looked at the Ikelite DS-125 strobe what do people think. Any alternative suggestions that are cheaper and still as good or is this the bst option?

     

    Cheers :guiness: .

     

    James.

  2. If you are going with Ikelite a good alternative will be the DS51 Substrobe that replaced the DS50, its smaller then the DS125 and cheaper and according to the specs it’s not too much weaker. Another advance of it is the 6 manual power settings.

  3. Ike DS 51 or Inon D2000 would be a good choice. Nothing wrong with the DS125, but it's a lot bigger and more expensive.

     

    Jack

  4. Hi Guys,

     

    Thanks for that input and the embedded link. It looks as though that might be more up my street. On the B & H website the head along is about $250 cheaper than the DS-125 and if it will do about the same job I might go for it?

     

    What kind of strobes do you use :guiness: ? Anybody using the DS-51 or DS-125?

     

    I've just seen that Reef Photo and Video are doing the DS-51 @ $365.00 B) !

  5. Hi Jim,

     

    Two things:

     

    1. There are a few differences between the DS125 and DS51 other than size and price. Namely, the angle of coverage is 80 degrees with the DS51 which means that if you ever get a really wide angle lens to attach to your S80, you may find you want another strobe to assist in covering the angle of view. There are other differences (battery, colour temperature and recycle time), but I think the angle of coverage is one to consider. Price wise the DS51 is very attractive.

     

    2. I suggest you get the strobe from Ryan rather than B&H as he will look after you and is far more knowledgable about UW equipment than anyone at B&H.

     

    Given your setup, I think the DS51 is a good fit.

    Edited by anthp
  6. Thanks for the advice.

     

    If I were to get a wide angle lens in the future I suppose I could look to sell the DS51 or possibly add a second?

     

    So you'll have to enlighten me and tell who this great oracle Ryan is :D !!!!

     

    :guiness:;):)

  7. No worries Jim, you assumptions about selling or adding a second strobe are spot on.

     

    And you've already found Ryan on the Reef Photo Video

     

    A bonus is that he is a site sponsor and regular poster :guiness:

  8. Hi Jim,

     

    Two things:

     

    1. There are a few differences between the DS125 and DS51 other than size and price. Namely, the angle of coverage is 80 degrees with the DS51 which means that if you ever get a really wide angle lens to attach to your S80, you may find you want another strobe to assist in covering the angle of view. There are other differences (battery, colour temperature and recycle time), but I think the angle of coverage is one to consider. Price wise the DS51 is very attractive.

     

     

    Now you have me thinking. I was going to buy this same setup for my Canon SD700. In the future, I would like to buy a wide angle lens.

     

    You mentioned "really wide angle lens". Does this mean there are wide angle lenses and there are even wider angle lenses?

     

    So much to learn.......:guiness:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.