Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Plug-in for whitebalancing on FCP

Started by Drew ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Plug-in for whitebalancing on FCP

16 posts
  1. With all this talk of white balancing, I thought I'd share a nifty little plug-in often overlooked... the CGM's DVE vol 1, which has a plug-in for white balancing video.

    So what's the difference between that and FCP's own color correction plug in? FCP's color correction tool is an awesome plug in but it is rather complicated to master and learn the ins and outs properly.

    With this plug-in, you can have the choice of finetuning the RGB channels through a simple interface and also where the color correction applies to.. high, mids or low levels.

    desktop2.jpg

    You can also choose to spot the "white" using the one touch function. It's not as accurate as the one touch on Color Correction and needs finetuning anyhow. But the interface is clean and results instantaneous.

    desktop.jpg

    As you can see, the results are good for a few touches of button. Obviously FCP's own Color Correction 3 way is more powerful and sophisticated. But for a free plug-in included in FCP 3, it is a very easy tool to use and the results are good.

    You can upgrade to version 1.4 for $99. It's a worthwhile C-note investment.

     

    CGM DVE Vol1 link

  2. Is this only for FCP or can anyone use this ???

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. Sorry Dean it's a Final Cut only plug in.

  4. HA !!! I did not need it anyway my WB is perfect... :D

     

    Now where's my red sweet wrapper..

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  5. I wrote a review on the CGM plug ins a few years ago but have never really used the WB one. Thanks for sharing that, will try it this afternoon and check the results. For me, being color blind, color correcting is difficult which is why I shoot everything perfectly the first time so I do not need to color correct..........I also have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell.

    Steve B)

  6. Will it work for Final Cut Express?

  7. Steve:

     

    I can't believe there's another guy who does what we do that wrestles with colorblindness. I thought I was the only one.

     

    Thanks for making me feel like less of a freak.

    Edited by peacedog
  8. Peacedog, hey, what's wrong with me now and then getting a little bit of my freak on?

     

    ;)

  9. Dave, the plug-in works with FCE. And please Wetpixel is not a dating forum. If you get your freak on on a wetpixel trip, that's fine however. ;)

     

    Dog, 1 in 10 men have some sort color perception problem. One of my exes say it's really 3/4 of all men since they can't dress well, but she's biased and has no X chromosome.

  10. Ahem...

     

    Drew, I do have to point out that she has no Y chromosome, and two X's ;)

     

    Too many Y's is a problem, too many X's is a problem (ie more than two, though some would argue that two is too many :D). None at all is not compatible with life.

  11. Craig I have to point out... she's an ex... so she has no X or Y to me.

  12. Touche, as the PC says ;)

  13. It's alright mate, you've been married too long to harbor ill-feelings for exes. Plus you missed the subtlety of that comment.

  14. It's alright mate, you've been married too long to harbor ill-feelings for exes.

     

    Don't tell my first wife, she might try and contact me again ;)

     

     

     

    Getting this thread back on track, I know that y'all in the video forum spend a lot of time talking about white balancing, but to be honest with you I don't know that I see that much footage that has been white balanced/color corrected for broadcast. You yourself once commented something along the lines of people sort-of expect the blues in the distance and colours from lights effect. Am I just not seeing it because the job is done so well that things look "right" without looking "corrected", am I insensitive to proper white balancing, or is the ability to white balance becoming more important now that it is "possible".

     

    Thoughts?

  15. If you are saying of late, I'd say the post production work of many underwater shows are pretty shabby (for fear of bringing up that pay thing again).

    That said, every serious shoot I've been(seen/read about/heard of ) white balance. Most post try to match the color of the water, since shots could be sourced from different locations.

    EG,I know of an award winning show which combined clips of whales from 2 different oceans, one green water other blue. To a layperson, they managed to conceal the fact.

  16. I was told when I was younger, that the military used to use color blind soldiers to spot camoflaug(sic) from airplanes because color blind folk were just better able to see things that didn't quite match. Maybe those of us who are color blind really see things the way they should be and it is everyone else who is really color blind. We're just in the minority I guess.

     

    It is important to have correct WB but for many years most shooters relied on the cams auto wb and did fairly well. WB has become the big topic for the moment but there are much more important aspects to shooting....like holding the damn cam steady, getting low, having a housing you can depend on etc.

    Steve B)

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.