I got inspired by the debate about HDV, and the apparent "death" of SD.
I think that it is most likely that the future will bring TV-on-demand via the internet, and therefore I think that is most likely that the format will be mpeg4.
I then made a test, compressing a little clip (28 sek.) standard DVcam pal 720x576, to the 1280x720 HDV format, 5393Kbps.
The clip is difficult to compress, because of the amount of moving "things" in the frame, but if you ask me, it still looks very fine.
Here is my point. If you have a high-end 3ccd camera with housing, and you are happy with it, keep on using it !
To me it looks like there is a there is a tendency to focus on technical specs, instead of stories....
The market for stock footage is extremely small, start focusing on making complete productions with interresting stories, and if you do that the end product will have a value, HDV or not.
Take a look at the clip here: http://www.hdvunderwater.com/uploads/1280x...DV_5393Kbps.wmv
(OBS 18.5 MB, so download it first, unless you have a monster internet connection)