Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

speaking of sweet rides ....

Started by wagsy ·

  • 44Posts
  • 44Replies

Read-only discussion

speaking of sweet rides ....

44 posts
  1. Hey Ralphy is that a ST 1100 a cop bike? Nice colours there... :lol:

     

    Thanks for the info on the Aprilia, I'll take one for a test ride next time I'm in the city.

     

    I remember hiting a pigeon at 180km on the CBR1000 and always thought it funny to have travelled 200km in just one hour :lol: Even used it a few times to bring in the sheep....then then day came to sell it.....one last huge burn out and guess what....chain broke and wrapped around the primary drive and cracked the engine case. :lol:

  2. I just know that I'm going to get into trouble for this, but the two bikes I regret no longer having are a Norton Commando 850 MkII - crude but a wonderful piece of Brit craftsmanship (not sure about engineering....) and a Guzzi 850T (no not T3) which I reckon was very bad for the heart - it red lined at 115 but not due to speed, more like the brakes (or lack of!) as this was before Guzzi used disks throughout. Sadly the Commando was sold and the Guzzi's lack of an oil filter was its undoing! I've even dived from the Guzzi but reckon the H&S boys would have something to say about how I carried the dive tank these days.

  3. nice to see some fellow riders...i have a 2006 ducati 749 and an 05 ktm adventure...any fellow rider/divers in the bay area?

     

     

    Wesley,

     

    My wife and I reside in Sacramento. She rides a 2001 Yamaha V-Star and I a '98 Harley Davidson Road King. For touring I pull a Bushtec trailer along. Past bikes include a Honda 700 tourer (I forgot the brand, but it got me into touring at a more leisurely pace), an '86 Ninja 900, and various dirt bikes growing up. I keep thinking that I need to sell the Harley to keep up with this ever-more expensive phot bug, but thankfully, my wife keeps talking me out of it, while "allowing" additional photo gear purchases. What a woman!! :lol:

     

    GG

  4. Wesley,

     

    My wife and I reside in Sacramento.  She rides a 2001 Yamaha V-Star and I a '98 Harley Davidson Road King.  For touring I pull a Bushtec trailer along.  Past bikes include a Honda 700 tourer (I forgot the brand, but it got me into touring at a more leisurely pace), an '86 Ninja 900, and various dirt bikes growing up.  I keep thinking that I need to sell the Harley to keep up with this ever-more expensive phot bug, but thankfully, my wife keeps talking me out of it, while "allowing" additional photo gear purchases.  What a woman!!  :lol:

     

    GG

     

    LUCKY DOG! your wife needs to talk to my wife.

     

    my wife never grew up around motorcycles like i did. so she couldnt understand the obsession, er religion (nothing like the smell of a carbeurator running pure). to her it was the most dangerous thing i can do. so out with the duc! crossing my fingers n toes she doesnt see scuba in the same light...

  5. Hey Ralphy is that a ST 1100 a cop bike? Nice colours there...

     

    It's a Pan all right, but an ST1300, full police spec. Used as an emergency vehicle for transporting between hospitals & I'm a volunteer rider on it.

     

    They are good for 140+mph (it has a calibrated speedo, naturally!) & fun to ride; especially on a 'blues & two's' through traffic.

     

    BUT it's a salutory lesson on an emergency run as to how many other road users fail to see you, despite blue lights/strobe headlight/two-tone siren; makes you realise just how 'invisable' motorbikes are to the rest of the drivers.............. :lol:

  6. Yes it's hard for none riding people to understand what it is about bikes. Nothing like a sunny day in some nice windy sweepers with note of the exhaust or the adrenaline rush of nailing the gas.

     

    A ST1300 lots of grunt there, people do become better TIN TOP drivers if they are bike riders as they are use to reading the road so much more and become more aware of whats happening around them.

     

    It was good to see Triumph started making great bikes again. They are allot different now to those early models.

     

    Gee I need a bike now :lol:

  7. Hi All

    The first bike I had was a CB175 Honda, it was #$%*§* rubbish. Then came a Norton Commando 850 MK2 :blink: , I loved it, it was a dream until some prick stole it. Then I went vintage and got hold of a Vincent Black Shadow, 1000cc of pure pleasure, it fired I think once every lamp post (being a V twin):lol: , just to find parts for was great, met lots of folks and it was a looker. Ahh :guiness: those were the days

     

    Ted

  8. Here's my current ride...

     

    Of course, when I look at it, I'm now starting to see a rebreather.

     

    David

    post-5094-1155255427_thumb.jpg

  9. Here's my current ride...

     

    Of course, when I look at it, I'm now starting to see a rebreather.

     

    David

     

    Nice custom, David! It's funny...you seeing the rebreather in the $$ tied up in the bike. That's how I sometimes get. When my wife hears me talking like that she tells me to take her (take your pick here :guiness: ) for a spin for a little while. Once I do I realize that I will never get rid of her (either, that is! :blink: )

     

    GG

  10. Nice custom, David! It's funny...you seeing the rebreather in the $$ tied up in the bike. That's how I sometimes get. When my wife hears me talking like that she tells me to take her (take your pick here ) for a spin for a little while. Once I do I realize that I will never get rid of her (either, that is! )

     

     

     

    Nice duece - lots of time and money gone into that. Your last remark reminded me of a story .

     

    My mother and wife were sitting down at tne table having afternoon tea and conversation drifted to my frequenrt absence from the family home due to diving expeditions or bike rides. My wife commented about she didn't mind the time apart but it was all the affection and love that that the bike seemed to recieve that bothered her the most - almost like a rival woman.

     

    My mother's response was " oh dear " I wouldnt make to much noise about that - "Remember he has had that bike a lot longer than he's had you !! "

     

    No more was ever mentioned about it - God bless you mum.

  11. I'll only allow myself one extravagant toy. That's why the rebreather can come along till the bike goes.

     

    Other dive gear and photo equipment aren't toys. They're necessities.

     

    David

  12. I went to the U.S. Open surfing championships in Huntington Beach California a couple of weeks ago and although it was fun, I got no surfer pics...only 4-wheel sportsmen, including motorcycles.

    post-1513-1155345189_thumb.jpg

    post-1513-1155345231_thumb.jpg

  13. And....

    post-1513-1155345328_thumb.jpg

  14. And finally....all with my new D200...playing.

    post-1513-1155345460_thumb.jpg

  15. ...

    .

    Edited by n de d
  16. Ahhh but mine is the ultimate ride that no one can hear me coming til I'm overtaking them (hardly ever happens unless they are stopped at the light)

    My EVT electric motorscooter is the coolest and gets me to where I wanna be quickly and quiet.

    Edited by scubadru
  17. I started off with a 175 Kawasaki trail bike

    Then 250 cc Ossa ISDT - good woods and mudder

    Then 400 cc KTM - a fast desert racer

    Then 500 cc single cylinder Yamaha thumper - real fun bike till you stalled it in traffic

    Then 750 cc turbo Kawasaki - tops for passing Porches

    Then a tread mill .......................

  18. Another Harley Deuce man here. I've been riding for more than 30 years. started in the dirt. Did a little racing on and of road. Mostly metric street bikes (non crusers), Now the wife and I both have harleys. Currently have an 03 Deuce, and and an 03 883 sportster for the wife. Here's mine:

     

    DSC_1708x.jpg

  19. Just bought a Honda VTX 1300 two months ago! :guiness:

     

    Second bike I've owned (wrecked the first one, broke my leg).

    Finally got back on the horse and I Love my new ride!!

     

    Sorry no pic

  20. I went to the U.S. Open surfing championships in Huntington Beach California a couple of weeks ago and although it was fun, I got no surfer pics...only 4-wheel sportsmen, including motorcycles.

     

    Those guys doing freestyle on MX are loose. I see there was guy the other night completed not one but two back flips on his dirt bike :blink: He reconds he's not going to try it again. :guiness:

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.