Hey everyone,
Bubblevision, close, but not quite with the tail! The calfs tend not to have great control over their bodies. It's quite funny sometimes watching them flop around. When there's a friendly calf with a laid-back mom, the calfs can really get excited, not unlike puppies or human babies. Sometimes they get a bit spastic in their enthusiasm. The funniest moments are when the babies seem to surprise themselves with their own pectoral fins – what a riot!
Eric had his trusty Eos 1Ds MkII with him. You should have seen the expression on his face! Of course, I still get that geeky expression on each and every encounter.
Mary Lynn, this is what Karen was referring to: http://www.tonywublog.com/20060818/black-and-white.html
I've been doing the rounds in the research community, reading lots of papers on the subject. It seems like there's strong support for inter-oceanic basin migration, but no one's willing to go out on a limb for inter-hemisphere migration yet. I'm trying to figure out a way to initiate a long-term study. Have a few folks interested, so we'll see what happens. I'll be keeping an eye out for the unusually coloured whales next year too, and asking everyone else to do the same.
The new resort in Lembeh should be really nice. Will send you a report when I get back, though Chuck and Marty will get back to the US before I'm done, so you might hear from them first.
Wagsy, really nice review on the housing! Makes me want to charge out and get one immediately.
Mark, not near Izu. Out in Ogasawara which is about half way to Micronesia. Really tough to get to, and there's really only one captain out there who knows the whales well enough to help w/ photos/ video. If you really want to go, email me separately and I'll be happy to introduce you. This is the place where I ended up in the mouth of a curious sperm whale.
Mike, I got to meet Paul and Karen b/c Eric heard about them from you. Thanks for the indirect intro!