Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Are green morey eels docile?

Started by vortexted ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Are green morey eels docile?

23 posts
  1. Well, from the sites that you listed as your source, I would believe the National Enquire, or the Globe more ;)

  2. You can approach moray eels very closely without them feeling threatened, several times I have had one millimetres from the port of my video housing. But I wouldn't really want to touch one, we do no fish feeding here so they are not used to any interaction. I think you could get away with it but I'm quite attached to the fingers of my left hand.

     

    When I worked in Australia one of the DMs got bitten badly on the neck. She had been feeding a "tame" moray on the reef and stuffed some of the fish down the neck of her wesuit. Pretty dumb thing to do but she had done it before with no problems so I suppose there is a lesson there.

     

    I discourage people from touching things. Firstly these are not "pets" but wild animals, secondly it can lead further handling and abusing of the wildlife and thirdly (especially turtles) they will come up to us if we act non threatening, give it a bad experience and it will undoubtedly be wary of those big slow moving noisy divers.

     

    On a slightly different note, one of the guys at our hotel got bitten by a croc this year. It was about 4ft long and had swum up to the beach close to the dock which I must add is a first for all of us. Anyway he and another worker decided to move it and without going into the details it turned around and nailed him in the arm. A few stiches later he agreed that it would have probably been better to let the croc swim back to where it came from!

  3. You can approach moray eels very closely without them feeling threatened, several times I have had one millimetres from the port of my video housing. But I wouldn't really want to touch one, we do no fish feeding here so they are not used to any interaction. I think you could get away with it but I'm quite attached to the fingers of my left hand.

     

    When I worked in Australia one of the DMs got bitten badly on the neck. She had been feeding a "tame" moray on the reef and stuffed some of the fish down the neck of her wesuit. Pretty dumb thing to do but she had done it before with no problems so I suppose there is a lesson there.

     

    I discourage people from touching things. Firstly these are not "pets" but wild animals, secondly it can lead further handling and abusing of the wildlife and thirdly (especially turtles) they will come up to us if we act non threatening, give it a bad experience and it will undoubtedly be wary of those big slow moving noisy divers.

     

    On a slightly different note, one of the guys at our hotel got bitten by a croc this year. It was about 4ft long and had swum up to the beach close to the dock which I must add is a first for all of us. Anyway he and another worker decided to move it and without going into the details it turned around and nailed him in the arm. A few stiches later he agreed that it would have probably been better to let the croc swim back to where it came from!

     

    This photo doesn't make a green mpray look too docile does it?

    post-1734-1162326214_thumb.jpg

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.