Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Shake sample

Started by Jules (Helioxfilm) ·

  • 32Posts
  • 32Replies

Read-only discussion

Shake sample

32 posts
  1. Just installed the latest version of QT for the PC.

     

    Still could not play the files.

     

    Can you load up m2t versions?

  2. Ok, I will convert them.

     

    Ready. The new files are in h.264, 1920*1080i (PAL), about 100 megs each.

    Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm)
  3. Cheers Jules. Downloading now....

    Just how fast of a connection have you got there....I got 156kbps.

  4. Cheers Jules. Downloading now....

    Just how fast of a connection have you got there....I got 156kbps.

     

    About 256-512 kbps upload speed. Not always, but often. To upload 100 megs takes about 7 minutes.

     

    A PM has been sent to you.

    Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm)
  5. Hey Jules

    Dropped them onto the EDIUS timeline no probs.

    Watched full screen and on the TV in EDIUS.

    Yes indeed it works rather well, better than when I tried.

     

    It looks like it does soften the picture a tiny tiny bit and I can see that you have to zoom in about 9% to crop out the wobbly bits at the edge for a clear picture which drops the quality a tiny bit again.

     

    But it does work rather well.

     

    Do you get any Vignetting with your lens, or are you zoomed in abit. It looks like you are zoomed in abit.

     

    Cheers for that.

  6. Do you get any Vignetting with your lens, or are you zoomed in abit. It looks like you are zoomed in abit.

     

    Cheers for that.

     

     

    Zoomed in abit.

     

    As I remember I used Z10 during wide angle. I have the original wide angle lens on the Phenom.

  7. Jules

    What's the Z10 during wide angle?

     

    Downloaded that 300meg clip you put together as well.

    Very good, we both sat back and watched it.

    Where is that ship located?

     

    The use of the wobbly filter gave a very nice effect, but that's cheeting :D

    The soundtrack was very nice as well. In all you did a very nice job.....

     

    It inspired me to give me eyes a rub and get back to our New Ningaloo DVD.

     

    crab.jpg

  8. Jules

    What's the Z10 during wide angle?

     

     

    I mean the numeric zoom value on the LCD. You can switch between a bar and a numeric value. Wide angle is Z00, telephoto is Z99.

     

    Wreck: Thistlegorm.

  9. I have been playing with Shake a little trying to use the smoothcam node. My first disclaimer is that I am not a shake expert and I am new to node based editing. I have been able to get my desired results from a stabilization perspective but my quality seems to drop significantly. I downloaded the gun_original.mov and the gun_shk_notscaled.mov examples and your quality doesn't seem to drop at all.

     

    I am trying to figure out where I am going wrong. Here is my current workflow:

     

    1) capture in FCP using HDV codec

    2) using media manger, convert to AIC (I have read that the AIC is better for shake, color, etc)

    3) bring to timeline, use 'send to Shake' menu option

    4) setup smoothcam options (steadymode=lock, locked on translate, rotate, zoom, and perspective)

    5) Analyze in smoothcam

    6) Render FileOut nodes (codec=AIC)

     

    Both the original HDV enocoded and the AIC encoded files look beautiful, the post-Shake files seem very pixelated and noisy. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

     

    Ryan

  10. I've found, if you lay off the lager / Jacky Dee for a while then the Shakes seem to fade away giving you a natural steadiness.. :) :glare:

     

    We rely on techno babble too much..Bring back the old days..Or cheaper software :)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  11. I have been playing with Shake a little trying to use the smoothcam node. My first disclaimer is that I am not a shake expert and I am new to node based editing. I have been able to get my desired results from a stabilization perspective but my quality seems to drop significantly. I downloaded the gun_original.mov and the gun_shk_notscaled.mov examples and your quality doesn't seem to drop at all.

     

    I am trying to figure out where I am going wrong. Here is my current workflow:

     

    1) capture in FCP using HDV codec

    2) using media manger, convert to AIC (I have read that the AIC is better for shake, color, etc)

    3) bring to timeline, use 'send to Shake' menu option

    4) setup smoothcam options (steadymode=lock, locked on translate, rotate, zoom, and perspective)

    5) Analyze in smoothcam

    6) Render FileOut nodes (codec=AIC)

     

    Both the original HDV enocoded and the AIC encoded files look beautiful, the post-Shake files seem very pixelated and noisy. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

     

    Ryan

     

     

    My way:

    capture in AIC or HDV

    not using media manager

    exporting to AIC

    not using send to shake

    in shake, first DEINTERLACE the footage (look manual)

    than apply smoothcam

    than apply resize if needed

    if you need, interlace the fottage (reason: look manual)

    than render fileout node into the desired codec, eg. AIC

    back to FCP

    render timeline

     

    I wrote "look manual", because the reasons and the settings are in a very good breakdown, and fill several pages :)

     

     

    Jules

     

     

     

    And yes: be sure, you have time for the exercise. When I was learning the sowftware, that turtle sequence demanded almost 4 hour to complete... :-)

    Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm)
  12. My way:

    capture in AIC or HDV

    not using media manager

    exporting to AIC

    not using send to shake

    in shake, first DEINTERLACE the footage (look manual)

    than apply smoothcam

    than apply resize if needed

    if you need, interlace the fottage (reason: look manual)

    than render fileout node into the desired codec, eg. AIC

    back to FCP

    render timeline

     

    I wrote "look manual", because the reasons and the settings are in a very good breakdown, and fill several pages :)

    Jules

    And yes: be sure, you have time for the exercise. When I was learning the sowftware, that turtle sequence demanded almost 4 hour to complete... :-)

     

     

    Thanks Jules; I appreciate the help. Shake is really cool but I have a long way to go. Manual huh? :)

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.