Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

PHOTOSHOP CS PROBLEM

Started by Brian ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

PHOTOSHOP CS PROBLEM

8 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I have Photoshop CS, on my old NIKON D70 i could easily access all the features such as the "main raw convertor".

     

    I have now upgraded to a Nikon D200. I can now only access RAW Adjustments, when i try to access the "main" RAW Convertor a box comes up with the followong tex - "Could not complete your reqeust because the file format module could not parse the file"

     

    Could anyone explain to me what this means in user friendly english and more importanly what i need to to access the "main" RAW File convertor with the D200.

     

    Thanks for showing an interest.

     

    Brian, London, UK.

  2. You need to download ACR update.

    See that thread on this issue.

  3. I think that even the last version of the Adobe Camera RAW converter that was released for CS can't see d200 nefs, as the camera (and its file spec) was released after adobe released CS2. My understanding is you'll have to convert your d200 NEFs to Adobe DNG format in order to open them in the Photoshop RAW converter (Adobe Camera RAW) in CS.

     

    You don't have the problem in CS2 as the latest version of ACR can be downloaded from adobe and it sees d200 nefs no probs.

     

    http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

     

    Here is a link to a similar discussion.

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14353&hl=

     

    Edit This is the same link offered by Arnon-Ayal but I'm pretty sure it's more relevant to CS2 than CS. Edit

     

    darren

    Edited by photovan
  4. Sorry for the not precise answer, I didn't noticed you talking about CS.

    The solution is as Darren mentioned, use Adobe DNG that supported by CS, to convert the raw files before opening them in Photoshop. I ran a smalll search by Google and didn't found any other option, I'll be glad to be wrong.

    Another option is to upgrade to CS2, if you'll do a lot of work with the D200 raw / PS then this process of double converting can be quit annoying.

  5. yes the CS2 upgrade path is a good solution. Having seen what different raw converters can achieve with the same files, you would have to think the latest from adobe is probably better than the ACR version back in CS. While the dng conversion process is pretty quick and easy, it is a pain to have more copies of files hanging around because;

     

    the fact is that all raw converters aren't created equal. So please, please, keep in mind, it is very important not to throw away your original nefs, after you have converted them to dng. The reason; what if Nikon releases a new version of its RAW converter software that has some super-duper function (who knows; lens correction/extended dynamic range/coffee warmer etc etc I don't know but you get the picture), and you want to use it on particular images in your files. Oh no, you've converted them all to dng and the new Nikon converter can see them....rats.

     

    The upgrade to CS2 is looking better....

  6. Hi Brian, whenever you get any kind of computer error, put the exact error message in google and you'll get an answer staright away. :)

  7. I went through the same pain, using trial versions of RAW converters by Bibble and Nikon Capture NX when I got my D200, but in the end I had to bite the bullet and buy CS2 (or update) for Mac. (Plenty of pirated versions going round for PC.) Even then you have to download the latest RAW converter from the Adobe website.

    However, I have to say there is nothing as much asa joy to use as CS2 for this job!

    Edited by John Bantin
  8. Hello Brian

     

    I had the same problem.

     

    As I found out, the D200's .NEF is only supported beginning from version 3.3 of Adobes RAW convertor.

     

    The Camera Raw 3.3 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS2.

     

    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3271

     

    If you get CS2, install the latest version (3.5), you can download it here:

     

    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3515

     

    So you should best get CS2 (maybe recent version of Elements would also work but I have not checked this).

     

    Sven.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.