After a bit of investigation (on the web and in the last two issues of BBC Wildlife Magazine and the preview for next month's) I think I have now seen 8 (possibly all?) of the winning UW images from the Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year - arguably the most important competition for UW photos. And I should mention that the winners very excitingly include some Wetpixel Members.
Anyway many of the wide angle shots are taken in available light only, in other words without strobes. And if you look back at previous winners you will see an abundance of available light shots.
This competition is usually judged by land photographers and I wonder whether their selection suggests that non-underwater photographers prefer the look of underwater images taken in available light only?
Or whether it is merely a reflection that the sorts of subjects that tend to do well in wildlife photo competitions (marine mammals, turtles and sharks) are often photographed in ambient light?
I think that this has wider implications for our images beyond this comp. For a terrestrial interest audience should we do more to suggest an underwater feeling in our images? People seem to like the different light we get UW? When you see an UW scene (e.g. actor fighting etc) in a movie it always has a strong colour cast suggesting very strongly that it is UW - rather than having perfectly corrected colours?
Anyway, food for thought, or more accurately discussion!
Alex
(p.s. Those of you who know my love of filters might feel I am making a case for their use. But I am not. I am not aware that filters have been used for any of these shots.)