Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Change images by editors

Started by Arnon_Ayal ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Change images by editors

4 posts
  1. In Andre's thread he mention that the editor changed his image (clone a penguin in this case).

    Few question popped up to me reading it:

    - Is it common in the industry to change images like that? I'm familiar with changing orientations, cropping and so but here is a real ' fake' image.

    - What about ethic? In nature images we except to see more o less the 'real world’ (at list I do) what is ethic in fashion / artistic is looks not so in that kind of images, again that my opinion, I'll be happy to hear what others think.

    - What the photographer should do with such a manipulation? I know I wouldn't like it (in image of mine that was used as background for a commercial brochure I didn't had a problem)

     

    Btw, the image is spectacular.

    Edited by Arnon_Ayal
  2. I was also surprised and disappointed that they cloned in that penguin. I definitely would not subscribe to a journal that would do that.

     

    Agree that Andre's shot would still be great without the penguin.

    Edited by herbko
  3. I also agree that it wasn't really an image in need of enhancement!

     

    It is very common for editors to crop images to fit their formats. Occasionally they will remove or move something from an image - mainly because it interfers with the text they want to add. I have never had anything added to an image and I would not be very happy if it happened.

     

    But then if you are taking their money I guess you have to take their decisions.

     

    Alex

  4. I was also surprised and disappointed that they cloned in that penguin. I definitely would not subscribe to a journal that would do that.

     

    Agree that Andre's shot would still be great without the penguin.

     

    I would not take it that seriously this time. I was open about the editing (in fact I did not know). Be this time I can laugh about it. For me it's just funny to see the extra penguin. it's small and it it does not ruin my picture.

     

    But I have seen pictures on magazine that really make you wonder if they are real. As a photographer (who loved film) I cannot live with that, unless the magazine is open about the edit.

     

    I will take to original print to Antibes, for those who are interested. :)

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.