Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Why we do what we do?

Started by CamDiver ·

  • 22Posts
  • 22Replies

Read-only discussion

Why we do what we do?

22 posts
  1. I don't know about anyone else but sometimes I listen to myself and think that I've become a crushing underwater video bore. But to get anywhere in this game you've got to be pretty much obsessed with it. I don't know of any other occupation that requires quite the same depth and diversity of skills. As a one-man band you've got to be a great diver, great shooter, great editor, great webmaster, great computer technician, great salesman... Divemastering would be a whole lot more straightforward.

     

    (excuse whinging pom attack)

    Edited by bubblevision
  2. Like so many of you, I feel as though I have forgotten something if I go diving without the camera. I started filming underwater in 2002 when I took my 12 year old son diving in Costa Rica. It was his first open ocean experience and, like a proud father recording baby's first steps, I wanted to record for posterity his first encounter with the world beneath the surface. Several years and hundreds of dives later I am still constantly trying to perfect each of the unique requirements of our craft. I love the child-like sense of wonder that overcomes me on the reef, the game of hide and seek that the fish play when you are trying to get "the shot", the manner in which they accept us into their environment, the struggle to survive that occupies all of their waking moments. I love the peace, the sensation of flying, the beauty, the harmony and the delicate balance that is nature. I have never felt so connected, so aware, so alive as I do when I am filming underwater. After viewing the video from a recent trip to Bonaire several of the participants, remarked, "I never saw that, or that, or that or that..." They were on the same dive, at the same time but instead of focusing on one small area, they scurried all over the reef. As videographers I believe that we see more by moving less. And then we get to relive the experience over and over and over again as we edit our footage to produce a DVD.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.