Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Considering a new printer

Started by Lionfish43 ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Considering a new printer

12 posts
  1. I've been researching the purchase of a new photo printer. The two printers that seem to be getting most of the attention on DPReview and other forums are the HP B9180 and the Epson R2400. Both of these seem like they would do what I want but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with either one of these printes as it applies to our favorite subject: underwater photography.

     

    Thanks,

    Larry

  2. Larry.

     

    I have the same question. Now that the HP is out, the choice is not so easy. I am waiting for my local photo store to get a HP so the comparisons can be made.

     

    also, has anybody heard of a R2400 replacement? I'm sure Epson will come out with something soon.

  3. I spent lots of time on this already - Both HP and Epson are really durable and robust but I narrowed down my choices of the Epson R1800 and the R2400. Epson is more of a professional photographers printer and there are more profiles and much more sites with help and assistance, as most pros use Epson. So better information and help with the Epson in my opinon. Ok now the R1800 and the R2400. If your into mostly high glossy shiny color prints the 1800 is supposed to have an edge but most people can't really see the difference. The 1800 is cheaper. The R2400 does better black and white and matt finishes as it has an swithcable matte black ink. The R2400 also can use a art type papers as well. The small color advantage ofthe 1800 is not a reason to get this printer over the R2400. The r2400 does far more and does virtually the same color quality as the 1800. Cost is really the factor vs not printing b&W or using art papers. I picked up a brand new R2400 on Ebay for $650.00 a steal. It has been cranking out pic after pic for a few months now. I tested Illford and Epson papers and could not see any difference.

  4. Although I can't offer a comparison, I went the Epson way a few months back too, and am very satisfied with its performance so far.

  5. I'm Epson all the way, and have been for the past 10 years. In a feqw weeks, Epson will be releasing there newest marvel, the 3800. It's worth taking a serious look at for several reason. First, it will only be $300-400 more than the 2400, but can print 17 x 37. This is what 's important to most people. It has has the same ink swapping technology as the 2400 in regards to being able to switch from photo/matte black and vice versa with only minimal waste. Finally. it is supposed to have a new droplet palcement technology which is supposed to smoke everything on the market, even there own pro wide formats.

     

    Just something to check out.

  6. I kinda figured that Epson was going to come out with something when I saw they had a price drop for the 2400 several months ago.

     

    do you know if their printer will come out before xmas?

    I need a printer to make cards and gifts

  7. I believe it's supposed to be out the first week of Dec. The only downfall that everyone is raising a stink about is no support for roll paper.

  8. the HP doesn't support it either.

  9. Just to make your choice harder yet:

     

    The Cannon 9000 series is great

     

    and

     

    I am getting great turnaround and prices online (esp. Kodak)

     

    All the best,

    Chris

  10. I recently got a Canon i9900 and really like it so far. Easy setup, seems to be good on ink usage (especially compared to my old HP 7150) and I like the prints as well as the speed that it prints. I got it from B&H for $425.

  11. I have the R2400 and like it a lot. Can't go wrong with this printer. I may buy the 3800 if it's as nice as it's supposed to be, but i'll wait to see what happens.

     

    Cor

  12. I have a 2400 as well. Absolutely no regrets - it's one piece of kit that has exceeded my expectations. If you do get one, follow the quickstart guide for colour profiles, that Cor posted some time back here

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.