Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Removing Blue Colour cast with Photoshop

Started by Osprey ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing Blue Colour cast with Photoshop

6 posts
  1. I have no doubt this has been asked before - but could not find answer using search.

     

    I'm new to underwater photography, just came back from my 3rd dive trip (Sharm this time) and while I have some great shots - majority have the typical Blue colour cast.

    Straight shooting - no strobe or filters used. (that will be for future)

     

    I have found a few tips for correcting with Photoshop - but some are a few years old, and I assume as Photoshop CS is 'better', and there are people out there with a lot of experience of correcting colour there may be an 'ideal way'

     

    Anybody care to 'step me' through how to do this, or point me to a link where this can be found.

     

    I have tried the setting white point with levels tool - but results not that good. (so far)

  2. Wetpixel member Saeedrashid posted an interesting automated action here that does just that:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15067&hl=

     

    If you have specific examples of photos to fix, you can post them in low rez and we'll see what we can do to help...

  3. I don't have PS here at work, but go to Image/Adjustment/Curves. Click on the gray dropper (the half full one), pick a spot on the image that should be gray. Click on it. Now you have changed the color cast.

     

    If you don't like it: 1) Click on a different spot or 2) Tweak the individual color curves. The curve shown is for RGB. The little window at the top of the curve window says RGB. Click on the dropdown menu and you will get the individual curves for Red, Blue, and Green. Pick individual curves to tweak your selection. They will have already changed if you used the dropper.

  4. I have no doubt this has been asked before - but could not find answer using search.

     

    I'm new to underwater photography, just came back from my 3rd dive trip (Sharm this time) and while I have some great shots - majority have the typical Blue colour cast.

    Straight shooting - no strobe or filters used. (that will be for future)

     

    I have found a few tips for correcting with Photoshop - but some are a few years old, and I assume as Photoshop CS is 'better', and there are people out there with a lot of experience of correcting colour there may be an 'ideal way'

     

    Anybody care to 'step me' through how to do this, or point me to a link where this can be found.

     

    I have tried the setting white point with levels tool - but results not that good. (so far)

     

    Hiya Osprey

     

    If you have a particualr image you are trying to sort out and my tutorail doesn't help drop me a line and I will see if I can help.

  5. Unless you are very shallow in tropical water, there will always be a blue cast. It's very difficult to remove in Photoshop and better to try and prevent it by performing a "white balance" against a mid-luminance subject with low contrast at the depth in which you are shooting.

     

    Much below 5m and it's a filter, strobe or having to live the blue, unless you can make a monochromatic image.

     

    This was taken at 15-20m and even with a filter the colour can't be brought out in Photoshop: there's just no red or green getting onto the sensor.

     

    post-4522-1163811886_thumb.jpg

     

    Tim

     

    B)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.