Ok trying some over/unders with the 10.5 and 8†acrylic dome. Tried the baby shampoo, really did not work to well. Any other suggestions for reducing water drops? (that don’t include carrying a towel in a water proof bag and standing on the bottom when the water is glass flat)
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Baby shampoo didn’t work
Started by NWDiver ·
- 32Posts
- 32Replies
Read-only discussion
Baby shampoo didn’t work
-
-
This may sound a bit disgusting, hehehe, but saliva helps with my glass dome (especially in the lack of anything else)

-
i second salvia .. works great at Stingray City .. or if you can do it .. licking
-
My wife thinks I already spend to much time with this gear, now if she catches me licking it OMG!
-
erm... don't get it wet in the first place?!?! heheehee
-
Maybe you need to try another brand of baby shampoo.
Use lots of it and refresh often.
-
You may wish to try RVR rain repellent. It is made for aircraft windshield and is safe for acrylics. I have used it on ikelite domes with success. It is available through www.sportys.com for $5.95 a bottle.
-
I use Rain X and it works but here are some more tips:
1. Go for the O/U shot if you can, before you are all the way in the water
2. The rainx helps for maybe 30 min after that it looses its effect.
3. When the camera is out of the water and you are setting up the shot wait a little longer for the water to roll off the dome. Popping out quick and going for the shot will always leave water on the dome.
good luck
-
Before using Rain-X and the like make sure it is safe for acrylic surfaces, many of these chemicals are only for glass...
-
I, too, have had superb results from RVR. Excellent, in fact.
I've tried saliva - nope, no good - or at least, I have defective saliva.
I've tried several brands of shampoo - mediocre at best for the ones I've tried - can't remember which ones.
About the only problem I can point to with RVR is that it wears off fast, I only recall getting a couple of dives out of a healthy application.
Absolutely do NOT use Rain-X on acrylic domes! The alcohols in the mixture will eventually lead to unpolishable crazing.
All the best, James
-
Thanks, looks like I'll give RVR a try.
-
i heard one the otehr day from a photographer that did some really clear o/u shots and said he used potato juice. there were definitely no drops on his dome, and i guess costs a lot less than other suggestions
-
I've been told to use apple slices, rubbing the juces around the dome. I've tried it once or twice with video shots b/w above & below with good results but I don't think it lasts long on the port. I've also seen a storm chaser's raw hurricane footage (using an UW housing) where he constantly wipes the dome with a soapy wet towel (maybe baby soap) that removed the rain drops quite easily.
-
I use Rain X and it works but here are some more tips:
1. Go for the O/U shot if you can, before you are all the way in the water
2. The rainx helps for maybe 30 min after that it looses its effect.
3. When the camera is out of the water and you are setting up the shot wait a little longer for the water to roll off the dome. Popping out quick and going for the shot will always leave water on the dome.
good luck

I have had port manufacturers say NEVER to use rain X on non glass ports. They told me it would damage them. FYI
-
Rain-X is dangerous becasue it leaves a film. I have no experience with RVR, but have has lots of success with a whole lot of spit. Really lay it on there and it works wonders.
-
I've heard the story too of using a sliced raw potato - but for stopping fogging on masks. I've never tried it. I prefer good ol' Manchester spit. Licking the dome port sounds on the margins of dodgey to me

-
Yep good old spit, you always have it and do it lots and lots as the more you do it the better it works.
-
Hi!
I applied a solution to my glass dome that contains nano-particles to get a very smooth surface. Since I did this, water drops simply fall off the dome surface when I get out of the water. If a few (very small) droplets remain, I simply blow them off or dip the dome once more to let the water drip off in a single sweep.
The procedure of applying the coating takes a few minutes (cleaning, drying, spraying the fluid, waiting for it to dry, polishing -- about half an hour in total) and it is said ot last for months.
I did quite some dives with the so coated dome in both fresh and sea water and the effect still remains.
There are different fluids available (for ceramics, glass, acrylic glass ...).
Helge ;-)=)
-
-
Rain X is supposed to leave a film, when there is a film/Haze you buff it off, never had any problems use it before most all dives, but check with your manufacturer.