Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

HD tv monitor for color during editing

Started by PCDiver ·

  • 21Posts
  • 21Replies

Read-only discussion

HD tv monitor for color during editing

21 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I'm looking for a small HD tv/monitor that I can use to verify colors/picture quality during my editing. It cannot be too big since I already have a triple monitor setup at my desk. Any recommendations? It has to be PAL, since I'm living in Europe.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Peter

  2. Hi all,

     

    I'm looking for a small HD tv/monitor that I can use to verify colors/picture quality during my editing. It cannot be too big since I already have a triple monitor setup at my desk. Any recommendations? It has to be PAL, since I'm living in Europe.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Peter

     

     

    Hi,

     

    for the colors I suggest to buy a CRT monitor. However, for HD, the TFT-s would be better, but I can not trust the current and cheap TFT-s. (At least in 2006.)

     

    But to monitor with a real HD control monitor is an expensive exercise. You can buy a small 10 inch JVC HD monitor with HD-SDI input for about 3500 USD. Or you can buy the big brother, the 17 inch for about 4000 USD (in Europe of course, BH prices can be lower...).

     

    Or, you can buy a Panasonic TFT (17 or 20 inch), but they cost a little bit more, about 5000 USD.

     

    At my workflow, I use a Mac pro with an AJA Kona Lhe capture card and a 15 inch JVC broadcast monitor for the colors. The AJA downconverts the HD in real time to SD, and I can monitor it on a cheap SD monitor.

     

    Or, if you do not want to spend money for broadcast quality equipments, you can use any 1920*1080 computer display for monitoring. However, they are not for the field work. SO, maybe the small JVC would be good for you.

     

    Jules

  3. Don't forget the Sony BVM series. They have a few 800 line HD ready monitors at 14". Addition: The LUMA series was also very nice, but I haven't seen the smaller panels...just the 23".

     

    If you do use any ol'computer display... COLOR CALIBRATE them.

    Edited by Drew
  4. Colour..C.O.L.O.U.R...colour.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  5. damn americans....

     

    COLOUR!

     

    FAVOURITE!

     

    :P:D

  6. Ah dear commonwealth types, the Empire is all but gone. Your future king prefers to be a female sanitary item for a british bull dog type, the UK still haven't admitted the atrocities committed in the name of the empire just 100 years ago in many countries and you quibble about an antiquated way of spelling, since really it was the french who made you spell it that way (written language came from the east and metamorphosized in the isles.

    Still as a latin based language, you got nothing on the italians. So get over it... the new favorite spelling of color is without the U, get with the program. :P

     

    And so this isn't off topic, for our friend Piotr, you didn't say what budget you had for the monitor. All of the recommended monitors are in the $2-4000 broadcast range. If you want something cheaper, get an LCD monitor and color calibration hardware and you'll get 70-80% of those monitors.

    Edited by Drew
  7. And so this isn't off topic, for our friend Piotr, you didn't say what budget you had for the monitor. All of the recommended monitors are in the $2-4000 broadcast range. If you want something cheaper, get an LCD monitor and color calibration hardware and you'll get 70-80% of those monitors.

     

    Budget, what budget :P

     

    I just bought a new computer (E6700 based, 3 GB ram, 3 x 400 GB hd), an FX1 as a backup for my Z1 and an upgrade to the PPro 2.0 Studio. So my budget is almost gone for this year.

     

    What do you mean with color calibration HW? I have three decent flat screens on my PC, so that should work. Anyway I'm not planning to spend thousands of dollars on broadcast monitor.

     

    PC

  8. All monitors need to be color calibrated for photo and video work. That's why the broadcast monitors are so expensive. They are better quality but also high color precision to broadcast standards for each monitor.

    A color correction probe HW like Truelight Monitor Probe calibrates the monitor to whatever standard you are outputting to. Quite a few people just hire engineers to do it for them since it makes no sense to own the hardware unless you're a production house. But if you are not outputting broadcast but are a provider for eg DVD, filmfests etc, then I'd just use a TV set albeit a good one.

    Edited by Drew
  9. I too find it difficult to find the correct colors.

     

    When I am playing my SD films on my 100Hz standard old time TV, all the colors are nicely balanced, but when I play the same SD film on my new LG HD 32" flat screen tv, the contrast are much higher, and the colors are more saturated, especially the reds.

     

    So what is correct colors ? :wacko:

    Edited by skawdiver
  10. I too find it difficult to find the correct colors.

     

    When I am playing my SD films on my 100Hz standard old time TV, all the colors are nicely balanced, but when I play the same SD film on my new LG HD 32" flat screen tv, the contrast are much higher, and the colors are more saturated, especially the reds.

     

    So what is correct colors ? :wacko:

     

    The standard is ITU Broadcast Colors of the color system you have, eg PAL/NTSC/SECAM etc. There's a filter in Final Cut Pro which changes the chroma/luma to broadcast safe levels. However I don't think that's your problem.

    Unfortunately TVs vary quite a bit in image quality. esp from CRT to LCD to Plasma etc etc. If your new TV only plays your SD movie badly, then your DVD player could be the culprit too. Many variables. including connection type. HDMI or DVI-D or Yprbg?

  11. If your new TV only plays your SD movie badly,

    Not badly, but definately with additional contrast and colors. I have been trying to adjust the colors, might have to try again. :glare:

     

    then your DVD player could be the culprit too.

    It's the same, no matter how I play it, via DVD or direct via the PD-170.

     

    However, I cannot remember how I connected the LG - HD/DVD recorder to the LG tv, will check it out later.

  12. COLOUR...

     

    damn scandinavians....

     

    :wacko:

  13. COLOUR...

     

    damn scandinavians....

     

    :wacko:

     

     

    ;) Kolor :D in Hungary :D színes

     

    Jules

     

     

    According to real colo(u)rs: you should visit the creativecow.com forums, there are some discussion on this topic.

  14. right....

     

    szines from here on in! :wacko:

  15. COLOUR...

     

    damn scandinavians....

     

    ;)

    ROFL :wacko:

  16. I think you will find he spells his name ROLF... ;)

     

    Bloody hell Drew, I was only educating you on trew speling :wacko:

     

    Colour..Bloody French.

     

    You will be telling me its Aluminium next :D

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  17. Bloody hell Drew, I was only educating you on trew speling ;)

     

    Colour..Bloody French.

     

    You will be telling me its Aluminium next :D

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

     

     

    You'd think the British invented English! :wacko:

     

    Actually, Drew, in formal international fora, British English is generally the standard, including places where the US is relatively dominant, like NATO. As an American, I'm sometimes reminded of that! Nonetheless, I refuse ever to refer to a cigarette as a "fag!"

     

    :D

     

    Happy holidays!

     

    Max

  18. Max, Modern english is considered standard because of the empire's former glory and the commonwealth.

    Just cos it originated from the isles doesn't mean it can't be improved upon.

    Dean, actually Aluminium and Aluminum are both etymologically correct. Humprey Davy coined Aluminium then back to Aluminum then back to Aluminium. But during the Aluminum years, that spelling took hold in Webster's dictionary in 1800s. Of course some schleps have standardized it (IUPAC) to aluminium. I just call it AI.

    AND just so it's not off topic:

     

    Skaw, your color correction could be breaking the broadcast limits in chroma and even luma. Is this only from this particularly clip or it happens on every other clip? I'd put a broadcast safe plug in on the clip to see if that helps.

    Edited by Drew
  19. Is this only from this particularly clip or it happens on every other clip? I'd put a broadcast safe plug in on the clip to see if that helps.

    It's generally oversaturated. I will try the broadcast safe CC. Thanks for helping :wacko:

  20. Drew, I have a pub quiz down the local soon and i was wondering if your free ;)

     

    Is there anything you don't know..Or are you hoping no one looks up your repsponses, just in case your stretching the truth :wacko:

     

    Who cares who spells what and how, we Brits are the best :D except at sports :glare: We'd kick all yo arses at anything else. (Please read the last part while humming 'God save the queen')

     

    Now let that be that on the subject.

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(o,k yar, jolly good show and toodle pip)B

    Edited by DeanB
Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.