Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica port lock?

Started by drsteve ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica port lock?

30 posts
  1. Luis we are working and looking at different approach, what need to be understood is that we cannot shut down everything and just concentrate on this, we want and will have a long term solution, but we have to expand considerable energy and time also on the next generation of housings, accessories like optical viewfinder, new solutions to ergonomics controls etc... Heck i'm just happy where not making strobes, i'll leave thoses headaches to my friend Ike :P

     

    Cheers

  2. Hi Jean, I didn't mean to suggest that you guys should be concentrating on it, as I said in an earlier post I don't even think it is necessary (my Subal doesn't have one and I don't miss it). I was just trying to present an option for an outside lock...

  3. Sorry buddy, I didn't meant for it to come out that way :D , the whole lock issue is a non issue for many and a life threatening for others. All I meant is we have some solutions we are looking at and in due time they will be implemented. I would like to say “right away sir!†to everybody but, will do ASAP is the best we can muster realistically speaking

     

    What doesn't help in a way is, that so far Aquatica and Ikelite are the only two manufacturer to have made themselves available trough this forum, thus we draw some sometime unnecessary flak because you guys know we are listening and that we will respond, I for one (as Ike is I am sure) have no plan to stop making myself available. We have gain mucho respect from this community (it does flatter my ego somewhat :D ) for just being available, even if it mean getting bit once in a while.

     

    BTW It would be nice for you guys if the European and Asian manufacturer would realize the significance of what you could call “real time support†made available in theses forums. In my opinion it is there losses. We have our hand on your pulse and even if sometime we do get the odd suggestion (such as access of the direct print button :P ) most of them do make a lot of senses and are listened to. After all they do come from field user, people who have bought the stuff and want the biggest bang for buck they can get.

     

    Cheers

  4. Jean,

     

    I want to encourage you to keep posting. I hope it didn't sound like I was giving you too much flack. I really appreciate knowing that you guys are listening. I also think that both you and the dive community as whole benefit from these discussions. I realize that this is a pretty specialized field and that although it is a business, anyone who gets into it does so mostly for the love of it and not because it is particularly lucrative.

     

    I was just a little frustrated by the fact that when I first got my gear, I could see lack of the port lock as a potential serious problem, and then a few weeks back I was burned by it. Fortunately, I managed to dodge the bullet and avoided any damage, although it sounds like others were not so lucky. I apologize if my frustration came through in the original post. From my perspective, I am totally cool with using duct tape to secure the ports to prevent this from happening in the future.

     

    Perhaps it is just that in some sence I am in similar position to you. I design optical instruments for a living (www.wyatt.com) and I know how much time and effort goes into testing and releasing even small design changes. Moreover, it has become almost second nature to me to look at the design of everything around me with a critical eye towards "improvements". Think of it as a bit of free engineering advice. For some companies, the last thing they want to hear is "free" engineering advice from their customers since it comes across as criticism of their efforts, and it is, but hopefully it is always constructive. You guys are free to use it or ignore it as you will. All I really want is to know that it has been considered. Also, I really want to see you guys flourish especially since I have now have a large personal stake in the company :-)

  5. BTW It would be nice for you guys if the European and Asian manufacturer would realize the significance of what you could call “real time support†made available in theses forums. In my opinion it is there losses. We have our hand on your pulse and even if sometime we do get the odd suggestion (such as access of the direct print button :wacko: ) most of them do make a lot of senses and are listened to. After all they do come from field user, people who have bought the stuff and want the biggest bang for buck they can get.

     

    Cheers

     

    Now I know what those 2 threaded holes in my D200 housing are for! I was wondering what exactly Aquatica is thinking of fitting here?

     

    I (think several others too) do appreciate the on-line support, in fact this is basically the reason why I decided to stick with Aquatica and still considering buying from Ikelite again. Not many manufacturers bother to take the time to do it, unfortunately.

     

    Talking about odd requests: DOF lever, close by Shutter...one of my fingers keeps complaining that he can not find DOF preview UW before index fires away.

  6. DOF lever <_< ,now that we have that new finder and can see much finer detail... :wacko: down in the sugestion note book it goes.

  7. Aquatica is to be commended on the lastest innovation on the D3 housing.

     

    The port lock is solid in construction , positive in lock and is easily accessible from the outside of the housing and can be disengaged by simply depressing a button.

     

    Looking forward to getting it out and put through the paces.

     

     

    It will be good to hear industry feed back as I feel thay have got this one 100% correct as it is accessed easily from the outside and engages positively first time every time.

    post-2339-1216127305_thumb.jpg

    post-2339-1216127324_thumb.jpg

    post-2339-1216127373_thumb.jpg

    post-2339-1216127409_thumb.jpg

    post-2339-1216127452_thumb.jpg

    post-2339-1216127454_thumb.jpg

    post-2339-1216127508_thumb.jpg

    post-2339-1216127536_thumb.jpg

    Edited by pmooney
  8. This lock mechanism will be implemented on our future housing design as well.

     

    Cheers

  9. This lock mechanism will be implemented on our future housing design as well.

     

    Cheers

     

    Jean, is the port lock on the D300 housing?

     

    Not that it matters a lot, I've already ordered mine. :D

  10. The D300 housing has a port lock, but due to the design of the housing it was not possible to have it accessible from outside, you have to open the back to access it.

     

    Nice to read you in this forum Jim.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.