This is a great thread, all the poinient issues has been raised:
1) Demand is on the rise due increase of affluence in China
2) Its a honorable tradition that is generations old
3) Conservation is not a consideration for consumers
4) Like narcotics, the problem is demand, not supply
5) Changing the mindset of the youth is the only opportunity for change
I have witnessed first hand the effect of influencing the youth, albeit on a personal scale. We are close friends with a Cantonese family, the Cantonese are voracious consumers of exotic seafood. Once during a slideshow, their young son was frighted by a shark shot. I went on to explain how sharks are not scary, and brought him some books about sharks. About two years later we were dining out and the waiter suggested shark fins, before I could protest, the 7 year old demanded "NO Shark Fins"
I submit that an effective vehicle to affect the habits of the youth of China is to recruit Chinese pop & movie stars, and create cartoons to evangelize the message. For example if the producers of "Sharks Tales" made a Mandarin cartoon series. Having said all this, I am clueless as to how to instigate these actions, but a ground swell such as this forum might just be a place to start.
I also submit that developed countries like the US, Canada, and Australia should ban the sale of shark fins as an example to the rest of the world. This might be feasible in terms of reaching out to our legislative officials.
