Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Amazon.com sells shark fin soup

Started by shawnh ·

  • 116Posts
  • 116Replies

Read-only discussion

Amazon.com sells shark fin soup

116 posts
  1. What a bunch of idiots..........hopefully they will take it off very soon.

     

    On my site now as well.

    Will add Shawns clip as well.

  2. Very sad to read this about amazon selling sharkfinsoup.

     

    Have also started action against amazon.uk.I will contact all my dive buddies in Belgium and europe to start action and actively boycot buying amazon products.

    BOYCOT IS THE ONLY ACTION THAT WILL BE EFFECTIVE.

    Since this a publicly traded company it has to comply with market regulations.

    The next stockholders meeting is an excellent meetingpoint to react to this bad businessdesision to sell shark fin soup.

    EVERY STOCKHOLDER CAN HAVE PUBLIC QUESTIONS AND THEY HAVE TO BE ANSWERED BY MANAGMENT.

    THE MORE ACTIVE THIS ACTION AGAINST AMAZON GETS ,THE BETTER.

    ALSO WRITE TO THE MAJOR STOCKHOLDERS OF AMAZON (you can find them via you stockbrokers)

    AND PROTEST ABOUT THEM HAVING SHARES IN AMAZON .

    This will definately give reaction on the higher levels of mangament in amazon.

     

    Hope this will be a gigantic snowballeffect

     

    DIVERS UNITE AND REACT

     

    mastercarwash :D

  3. Amazingly there was a guy that left a positive feedback for the thing! :D

  4. I send a request to amazon to remove the product and I also send an email about amazon to The Ocean Conservancy http://www.oceanconservancy.org for their help in getting amazon to remove this item. I for one will not purchase items again from them until it is removed.

     

    Thanks to everyone's efforts!

  5. If you click on the item as of today (Jan 03), you will see this:

     

    Availability: This item is currently not available.

     

    Let's just hope that either Amazon or Pacific Rim has pulled it out and not that someone bought the entire stock!

  6. If you click on the item as of today (Jan 03), you will see this:

     

    Availability: This item is currently not available.

     

    Let's just hope that either Amazon or Pacific Rim has pulled it out and not that someone bought the entire stock!

     

    Nice! Yesterday it was in stock. Let's see if it disappears all together. Great work team!

  7. Deplorable, utterly deplorable.

     

    Thank you Eric for getting all the html together, I've put this up on my front page. Amazon has lost my custom until the product is gone.

     

    Though I note, visiting the product page today, it is shown as unavailable. Perhaps we're winning.

  8. It now seems that Amazon has removed the product, a small victory for us! But now that I've got everybody's attention, why don't we expand our complaints to other suppliers? :D Here is another American company that sells yet another brand of shark fin soup (not Dragonfly):

     

    http://www.asiafoods.com/Roland_Shark_Fin_...amp;match_type=

     

    If you have some spare time, please copy the message and/or review that you sent to Amazon and Pacific Rim and send it to them as well. Thanks for all the effort, we can do a lot if we act as a group!

     

    Luiz

    Edited by Rocha
  9. Thats great...Well down all. :D

     

    It's slowly a work in progress but I loaded up Shawns clip here as well.

    World Vids

    If there is any more conservation videos out there, direct me please.

    Once we have a heap of clips up there will moved it to the main URL.

     

    Wags

  10. Here's the reply I got back from Amazon:

    From: “Amazon.com Customer Service”

    Date: January 3, 2007 8:22:37 PM PST

    To: Eric Cheng

    Subject: Your Amazon.com Order (#002-4674713-8452848)

     

    Thank you for writing to Amazon.com with your concerns

    about “Dragonfly Shark Fin Soup”.

     

    As a retailer, our goal is to provide customers with the broadest

    selection possible so they can find, discover, and buy any item

    they might be seeking. That selection includes some items which

    many people may find objectionable. Therefore, the items offered on

    our web site represent a wide spectrum of opinions on a variety of

    topics.

     

    We value all feedback from our customers, and I thank you again for

    taking the time to send us your comments about this issue. We hope

    you will allow us to continue to serve you.

     

    Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept

    incoming e-mail.

     

    To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help

    section of our web site.

     

    Best regards,

     

    Thilak.R

    Amazon.com Customer Service

    http://www.amazon.com

     

    ... and what I wrote back:

     

    This is an unacceptable response.

     

    If by facilitating the sale of “some items which

    many people may find objectionable” you mean selling a food which is so controversial that most governments have banned the practice used to harvest them, then you have succeeded.

     

    I am boycotting Amazon until this product is removed from your shelves. You can see from my account record that I have been a loyal customer, that is, until now.

     

    We have a multi-publication campaign about this unfortunate situation right now that is getting to tens of thousands of prospective customers, and you’ll be hearing from all of us. Many of them will not buy from Amazon until this issue is resolved.

  11. Strange... The page is still there when we click on the link, but if you search amazon for "shark fin soup" or even "dragonfly" no results come up.

  12. Very interesting. Yesterday, when i discovered the product i ran searches on amazon to comfirm it was current and not a google cache issue. All searches revealed the product with inventory "in stock". Now the search yeilds "no results". Looks like someone is getting the message. Perhaps to appease the supplier they "still carry" the product but for all intent and purposes, are burying and removing stock.

    Pretty sneaky....

  13. Good work Eric.

    What so they should be selling Whale Meat as well then.

     

    Idiots....

     

    Quote

    As a retailer, our goal is to provide customers with the broadest

    selection possible so they can find, discover, and buy any item

    they might be seeking. That selection includes some items which

    many people may find objectionable. Therefore, the items offered on

    our web site represent a wide spectrum of opinions on a variety of

    topics.

  14. That really is great news about it disappearing - sounds like someone may actually be listening on the other end! Let's hope its not a temporary change.

     

    Wow - we may just have the ability to move mountains...keep up the good fight.

  15. Hey folks

     

    Hows this I just knocked up.

     

    Lets spread it around and see if it gets back to them. :D

     

    Let me know if you have anything to add.

     

    Cheers for Shawn again on that great clip. :D

  16. Nice work wags...

     

    I'll do as much as I can..No way am I going to let the glutinous, thoughtless idiots deny me the pleasure of the majestic shark..Or any other wild animal come to fact... :D

     

    Lets do our bit..

     

    Well done you lot on the war Against Amazon and its uneducated or even arrogant few.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  17. I have also received the same reply from Amazon and have had a meaningless exchange of emails with them.

     

    I have posted a request for help on the largest Italian diving website (www.poverosub.com/forum5) - these guys are great, lots of energy and very proactive, I am sure they will not waste any time.

     

    The more I read Amazon's reply, the more depressed I feel about how clueless these people are...

  18. There is a quite lively discussion about the Amazon.com/Shark Fin issue going on at the Greenpeace Webste too:

     

    http://weblog.greenpeace.org/oceandefender...s.html#comments

     

    I would encourage everyone to leave comments there aswell, so that the Greenpeace folk who read them will hopefully get as fired up about the sharks as they are about the whales - which can't be a bad thing!!

     

    Alexxxy

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.