I’ve done a couple of dives with the Sigma DC 17-70 f2.8-4.5 Macro lens on my D80. It has a very wide range, from 17mm to focusing down to a couple of inches in macro mode, so no diopter is necessary. The lens itself actually vignettes very slightly at 17mm. It doesn’t do true macro, but does go down to 1:2.3 which is quite usable for med-small critters. It’s very sharp and priced at around $385 street. It's my standard carry-around lens and for the money works quite well.
I've tried a couple of dives with it in a flat port on my Fantasea FD80, and it does ok W/A without vignette in the standard port. I recently got a 5" dome and found that with an 15mm ext. ring, I could get full extension of the lens with only slight vignette from the sunshade from 17-22mm. Taking off the sunshade I get no vignette.
I like the sharpness at longer range and will try to find some clearer water next week on a local wreck to shoot more W/A. But the versatility is worth the added bother of swimming with a dome port, when you don't quite know what the dive will bring. I still have a hard time not wanting to dive with the ultra-sharp 60mm Nikon macro, in general I like primes better, but this set-up offers some other choices, from pieces of kit I already had.
These aren't the best images, but I thought they'd show the capabilities. Taken with 2 Inon z240s/Sigma 17-70/D80 in Fantasea Housing with 5' dome and ext ring.

Spider Crab, need to crank down the aperture in macro some more. The dome is bulky and awkward to shoot close-in with, but at least you don't miss a shot when set up for W/A. I think CF/WA is a better use.

Sort of W/A - 24mm, conditions were sucky, about 10' viz at best.

Best of the lot, shows it's sharpness, even at the end of the lens range at 70mm.
Not a bad G.P. setup if you have a dome port already. I think it'll find it's uses, maybe not as much as other lenses though.
Jack