Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Expodisc White Balance Filter

Started by videodan ·

  • 164Posts
  • 164Replies

Read-only discussion

Expodisc White Balance Filter

164 posts
  1. I found the tests very informative, and really appreciate your work to do them and post the results. A great learning experience.

  2. I thought I'd report back on my totally non-scientific tests with the Expodisc and my EVO housing.

     

    As mentioned previously, my idea was to buy an Expodisc and then power-up my EVO/HC1 with it in place since I don't have MWB control with my housing.

     

    So a couple weeks ago in Curacao that's what I did.

     

    Unfortunately, the results for me were indifferent at best. I tried several tests while pointing at both white sand and the sun from around 60' during the startup process but I really can't say that I saw much of a difference.

     

    There is a slightly more neutral tone to the footage shot doing this process vs. just starting up the camera without the Expodisc in place but it's more of a cooler, slightly greyer tone than anything else. The colors didn't seem to be much better in either sample. Based on previous results posted by others here I expected warmer, more lifelike tones using the Expodisc.

     

    I suppose it's also possible that the whole process of starting up the camera in this fashion has some flaw I've not considered that precludes this idea from working.

     

    And I only tried it one day, under semi-bright conditions, so there might be other situations where it would've worked better. The one day we had really bright skies, I left the filter in my apt...

     

    Bottom line:

     

    I have an 82MM Expodisc for sale in the classifieds.

    Edited by sjspeck
  3. Can Amphibico add the MWB control option to your housing ?

  4. Can Amphibico add the MWB control option to your housing ?
    Their solution is a mechanical button to press the assignable button on the A1U. But I have an HC1 - it doesn't have an assign button.

     

    I knew that when I bought the EVO though. It wasn't until almost a year later that I decided to play around with MWB.

     

    For what I normally shoot - clear Caribbean water, less than 90' - I'm finding that my HC1 does a nice job of Auto WB. And I can fix it in post....

     

    I just saw a video posted by someone on another forum, their contention was that although they could "fix" the blue, they left it in since that was what they perceived while shooting. I think I'm starting to agree...

    Edited by sjspeck
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.