John (Canuck) and I are looking at going on this trip date and itinerary.
Not really a commercial trip per say but I'll post here to be safe. ![]()
AK 5/11/07 Timika - Etna Bay - Sorong
5/11 - 19/11 14 days US$ 335 per day
The price is pretty standard for the area due to remoteness but well worth the price of admission. Local airfare from Manado or Bali seems to be about $250USD return if memory serves me correct.
After reading Larry's log on the Adventure H2O site http://www.adventureh2o.com/dive-log2.htmlI am even more excited about this trip. Larry was one of the pioneers of Lembeh years past and is a real pleasure to spend time with. There is a story currently in Fathoms dive magazine about Larry Smith.
All is preliminary as we have not confirmed anything with the boat yet, just thought I would let people know what I am thinking about doing and see if anyone else wants to join in. This is the area where they found the new species of walking shark and set new species record counts.
This trip would also include the blue water mangroves from which I was lucky enough to get my winning image of the clownfish. I might be able to find it again too if equally lucky. 8)
Anyway, here is the website http://www.adventureh2o.com/index.html and if you think you would like to go PM or email me and I can talk to the boat and reserve some spots. ![]()
The food is topshelf and the wine flows freely from the owners own winery in Australia. Tough to take coming up from a night dive and having the crew waiting with a glass of wine. ![]()
My images from last years trip can be seen here http://www.pbase.com/yahsemtough/raja_amphat_indonesia_2006 We saw 2 different kinds of whales last year, dolphins, mantas and small stuff galore.
Boat also only takes 11 divers
Cheers
Todd