If you all knew the half of it, you'd never go out with any of the boats here, if you really cared so much anyway. Firstly I am not going name names. The problem is that just about all the boats I have been on and chartered at some stage have done such stupid things and in the hands of western operator/owners too!
To name a few stupid things:
A western boat captain & dive instructor anchored his boat in an area that came to about 16-18m in the Raja Ampat, then allowed the divers to make a dive from the main boat on this sea mount he anchored on. They all came up raving about the dive, but shocked at the amount of reef on the top of the mount the skipper had just killed! The most stupid thing is that the guy actually told me about this too!
Another western boat operator in the wheelhouse of his boat was just about to allow his Indonesian captain to anchor right at the side of Tatawa Kecil (a well known Komodo dive site). I could see the reef below us and we only had 16-18m on the depth sounder. We were basically on the western ridge of this site. This stupid western operator was not all bothered about it in the slightest.
The same above boat operator booked a charter for a Japanese group for spear fishing. The route was from Bali to Komodo and back. They had not laid down any rules or regulations about where they could fish or what they could fish for. Then the owner was really happy to try his first ever scorpion fish sushi, fresh “resident dive site†cuttlefish, now that’s sport fishing hey!
The same above operator had anchored too close to a reef near Moyo. When I got to wheelhouse with my GPS to see where we were, I noticed we were way too close and regardless of the boat operator told the captain to immediately pull anchor as it was dragging the boat closer to the reef. When we dived this site, I went down a bit deeper than usual and saw where the anchor had dragged, luckily the chain and big anchor had missed a fantastic area of hard coral reef by 1-2m. For those of you who know Andy Miners ask him about it, he came over and quite rightly gave the operator a mouthful, just after I did.
I dread to think of what this guy does when he is on his own with no one who cares, the thought gives me shivers!
And then there’s the amount of other operators who regularly take spear fishing charters, this would surprise you all! Many operators regularly fish for pelagic fish, I have no problem with this and don’t dragging a line myself, though not over dive sites. I have seen boats go out and fish on GPS point after finishing their dive there. You know what the problem is, none of them know or care what the rules are. It's not easy to fidn otu what the rules are. I am trying tog et someone to write down the rules and regulations, anchoring procedures and the likes. Then have all this put in a brochure, English and Indonesian, so it can be laminated and put in every boat wheelhosue for the crew, captain and western owner/operators to look at every day!
Oh yeah, another great classic. I was asked to work/consult for a dive operator who were tryign to get started with live aboard dive boats. I led a charter for this group, afterwards the directors all complained that they hadn’t seen many big fish and in particular Napoleon wrasse. I met them for lunch and guess what, yeah more stupid people, they were sitting there dining on a small Napoleon wrasse. Now how about that for a Darwin Award?
Then there are the donations to the Bali mooring buoy project a while back. Just about all of the live aboard operators here said that they don’t operate in Bali! Der -- they just live here and many of them started a diving career here, but few wanted to pay a few bucks for mooring buoys, I think some did eventually pay up, albeit begrudgingly! I’m sure there are a few divers reading this who have dived Bali from a live aboard boat - yeah?
I could carry on and on, though the long and short of it… There is only really one boat owner/operator that cares, Ricardo who runs Ondina. He is about the only operator who has a fund, yeah, he takes about 5euro from every diver and puts this aside, and eventually he gives this to a needy cause.