Unfortunately there is one famous u/w photographer not a million miles from where I live, who a couple of years ago in Raja was seen to actually break off some coral branches in order to get a great shot of some cowering wildlife perched behindApparently he is a repeat offender, and his behavior is not that uncommon - shock horror! We all have a duty to protect the environment regardless of our own predelictions and publications.
That's just AWFUL ![]()
Maybe we should have an 'outing' section on Wetpixel where we can name names and make our un-environmentally friendly associates accountable for their dastardly deeds whether that is fishing, polluting, eco-damage or whatever.
Well that is a longstanding conversation I've had with marine biologists and more established photogs. Back in the day, there were fewer photogs so reef damage was minimal, esp in the remote areas. Whatever damage one photog could do, nature could rebuild without incident.
Remote locations can "tolerate" more photog damage because it's not constant and rarely dived. However, with the advent of growing wealth and digital, every tom, dick and mary are taking pics now. Those remote reefs are now more frequently dived ( who heard of Raja Empat just 10 years ago? Now 13 boats service the area) and diver damage shows. So this conservationist approach to photography is relatively new. And I'm sure that many wetpixel shooters are ok with interaction, but not destruction. Why it's just AWful doing that!
Right now I will 'fess up and say I am a reformed spearfisherman who still occasionally eats fish, preferably the eco-safe types (I know big discussion ahead). However, I am well know for my aversion to shark fin and have publicly persuaded many a Chinese and other colleague to avoid it at all costs because of limp-dick syndrome caused by all that lead and mercury
Ok mr blue pill... Tung Lok for dinner... my treat ![]()