I've got the three monitors working, but not full screen overlay. I had to rearrange the ports that I used on the cards.
My goal is to have two monitors for editing and one for full screen overlay, similar to what Wags has tested.
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by PCDiver ·
Read-only discussion
I've got the three monitors working, but not full screen overlay. I had to rearrange the ports that I used on the cards.
My goal is to have two monitors for editing and one for full screen overlay, similar to what Wags has tested.
Ha, I'm almost there. I got overlay working for DV timelines. The third monitor probably did not show overlay since the timeline was HDV and this display only handles 1280 x 1024. I haven't found a "overlay resolution reduction" for HDV in the Catalyst (ATI) driver software.
I think I need a monitor that handles 1080i natively. Hmmm. What about the Dell™ UltraSharp™2407WFP 24-inch? What do you think Wags? Dell currently offers it at a discounted price as well (674€ instead of 900€).
The ultrasharp 2407 is a very good monitor. The blacks are really black on this monitor.
The great thing is it takes DVI, VGA and component and has PIP. Only thing is the menu system kinda sucks but otherwise it's a very nice monitor for the price. Remember to color calibrate for best performance.
The ultrasharp 2407 is a very good monitor. The blacks are really black on this monitor.The great thing is it takes DVI, VGA and component and has PIP. Only thing is the menu system kinda sucks but otherwise it's a very nice monitor for the price. Remember to color calibrate for best performance.
plus one recommendation for the 2407 though i don't have that much experience to compare to many other i am very happy with mine.
/paul
plus one recommendation for the 2407 though i don't have that much experience to compare to many other i am very happy with mine./paul
Hi Paul,
I've read about problems with the 2407 and 1080i via composite and DVI, i.e. not working properly. Since you own the monitor, can you perhaps shed some light on this?
Thanks,
Peter
Hi Paul,
I've read about problems with the 2407 and 1080i via composite and DVI, i.e. not working properly. Since you own the monitor, can you perhaps shed some light on this?
Thanks,
Peter
Do you know what type of problems? I have not used for video editing yet, but if you give me some scenarios i may be able to run some tests this week end when i get home.
let me know and i'll try it out
/paul
Peter
I've just used my HVX200 and Sony A1 using the component inputs on my 2407 right now. Just played 1080i, 720p and 1080P using the A1 playing back V1 clips and while the deinterlacing for 1080i isn't the best in the world, it reproduces colors well enough for color correction.
The problem you are referring to is probably the incompatibility of EDID system players (various BD players use it) and the 2407's DVI-D input. It accepts only 1080P at DVI-D because there is no deinterlacer anymore. Use the component from your camera.
If your input is from the computer, it'll be deinterlaced anyways. Only 1080i from the camera direct cannot be played through the DVI-D or VGA Port.
I also looked at the BENQ FP241W which is also very nice but about $400 more, but it does have HDMI which allows HD-DVD and BD player (HDCP encoded) to play.
Dell uses the Samsung screen and BENQ the AUO (I think). I looked at both and liked the Dell more for the blacks. Being $400 cheaper didn't hurt either.
@Drew,
What version of the monitor do you have. There are some rumours that the 1080i problems are fixed as of Rev A4 or even A3.
I'm seriously considering the BenQ monitor as an alternative. The difference is only 250€.
@Paul,
The main problem seems to be the quality of 1080i via component input. It depends on the revision of the monitor. The later revisions apparently solves this problem.
Thanks guys.
Peter
What problems are you talking about?
Mine is a rev02. I don't use component for computer editing, just DVI-D. I hook up component for the DVD player. For an external monitor, I prefer using a HDTV or HD monitor hooked up to HD SDI, which is my setup at home. This monitor is my secondary one for the laptop.
PeterWhat problems are you talking about?
Mine is a rev02. I don't use component for computer editing, just DVI-D. I hook up component for the DVD player. For an external monitor, I prefer using a HDTV or HD monitor hooked up to HD SDI, which is my setup at home. This monitor is my secondary one for the laptop.
Drew,
check out these threads: http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=90808
It is mentioned that rev A02 has problems with colour banding.
PC
Oh that... well mine doesn't band. I've tested it too. If there is a cross the board issue, it doesn't bother me.
If you think you'll have problems then go with the BENQ. Peace of mind is worth it. I've had no problems with this monitor and I think it's a great computer monitor with side duties as DVD (may HD-DVD).
Peter,
I have for about 2.5 months a brand new PC specialy build for Edius 4 with NX.
If you are intrested to test it out no problem i know we live only 5km from each other!
Only 1 problem i am on this moment in the Philipines till 21 feb.
Bruno
Peter,
I have for about 2.5 months a brand new PC specialy build for Edius 4 with NX.
If you are intrested to test it out no problem i know we live only 5km from each other!
Only 1 problem i am on this moment in the Philipines till 21 feb.
Bruno
Hey Bruno,
time for a beer m8. Looking forward to getting your feedback. What monitor(s) are you using?
Peter
I am using 2 big 19 inch widescreen monitors + a High Def projector with a 2 meter screen hanging on the PC for vieuwing the results :-)
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.