I was very fortunate and picked up used Leica 8x30 binos a few years back. Although not a new design, they still remain stunningly good binoculars and I have yet to find any other make that comes close. If you get the chance have a look through some Leicas - expensive but the quality really is top league. If you are lucky you might just find a used pair at a reasonable price.
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Binoculars recommendations, anyone?
Started by Drew ·
- 30Posts
- 30Replies
Read-only discussion
Binoculars recommendations, anyone?
-
-
Paul the Leica Ultravid 8x50 are beautiful. I was comparing them with Pentax DCF SP and the resolution is better but incrementally so.
It sort comes down to how much one is willing to spend for a given quality.
I know the choices I've listed are all under $500. But the optical performance of some of them are equal to products twice the price or more. Then we have construction and design. Steiner has ads of cars rolling over their binocs and then using them after. Many of them are military spec as well.
As for the websites listed, optic planet at resellerating doesn't have a good rating:
-
Well I finally decided to go with the Nikon 7x50 Sport & Marine. It's not very powerful but has a very bright image that's also large and wide. I couldn't test for chromatic aberration but at$200, I'm apt to buy a 8 or 10 x 43 roof to supplement it on safaris and such.
I must say that I was VERY impressed with the Pentax DCF SP 8x43. But the Nikon won on larger exit pupil and wide angle. Will report once I test it out in South Africa in June.
-
Drew; I think the 7X50s will work just fine. FWIW in your shoes I might not buy the Pentaxs now since in a number of ways they are close to the Nikons. Instead I might get something like the 12x or 15x IS binos recommended earlier in the posts, or a pair of compact 8x30 Minox's (and btw I think Pentax makes an 8X30 SP model that is pretty compact) in order to have a wider range of capabilities. Hey, it is the "unrequited gear lust" forum after all lol

-
I just tried the Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50... it is BRIGHTER than the Nikon in lowlight.
The Nikon Sport & Marine 7x50 is probably the best 7x50 value you can get. It's nice and wide and the image is bright, quite clear and sharp. For 3x the price, the Fujinon isn't 3x as good. I'd say the difference is below 20% but the Fujinon is military spec and water proof like the Nikon.
Of course the nikon has a 25 year limited warranty and a lifetime "no fault" warranty where they replace or fix your binos if broken or damaged for $10 + shipping. I'd say that's pretty darn good.
-
Also look into Vortex binos.
I have Pentax SPs, Vortex Vipers and Minox BD BRs that I use for birding/wildlife viewing, and they are all excellent optics. Overall, the Vipers win out b/c they have a lifetime, no-fault unlimited warranty (no need to send papers in or whatever). Pretty nice.
$500 is the "sweet spot" for binos, IMO - you start to get alpha glass performance at a fraction of the price, although you dont get the "walk in" ease-of-viewing that you do with the big dogs.
Vandit
-
I'm headed to South Africa in July and need some binoculars. Half the time we will be on safari, and half the time on a Great White Trip.
Any updates or suggestions to this thread? The Nikon 10x32 EDG's look sweet, but I was hoping to get something under $1000.
Anyone have experience with Kenko binoculars; they seem to be good value for money as are their other products.
-
Get binos with image stabilization. Coffee hands will never cause shake again

I got the Fujinon Techno Stabi 14x40 (OEM Nikon). It's better than the Canon IS 10x42L for stabilization for boat use and of course you get a bit more reach. It's also waterproof and comes with a float strap. Mine has been swimming a few times

-
Get binos with image stabilization. Coffee hands will never cause shake again

I got the Fujinon Techno Stabi 14x40 (OEM Nikon). It's better than the Canon IS 10x42L for stabilization for boat use and of course you get a bit more reach. It's also waterproof and comes with a float strap. Mine has been swimming a few times

Thanks Drew. They look very nice and cheaper than the Canon as well.
How are they in low light? Do you think they are an ideal safari binoc as well? Not too much reach?
-
Well I only use them for boats. It's never going to be as bright as a 50 and if your eyes are "ahem" older, the pupils just don't dilate as much. I've used them to spot bird activity at dawn+3hrs or so, and they were very good. Using it to find whale spouts far away was also very good due to the good resolution. Only downsides are they are pretty heavy, the filters are non standard and expensive (polarizer is $130!) and the warranty sucks at 1 year.