Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

FCP practice/training

Started by scubanerd ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

FCP practice/training

13 posts
  1. Hello all, I recently posted a question looking for advice and/or experience between the MAC and PC editing platoforms. Thanks for all the great answers and opinions. I am happy/nervous to say that I have a new MAC showing up today and FCP showed up a few days ago.

     

    Before the software even showed up, I bought a couple books (from the Apple Certified Training series) on FCP and FCS. Now that I am going to have everything in place, I am trying to determine the best approach to training for an UW shooter.

     

    A little background; I am an independent network engineer and have spent most of my life shoulder deep in computers and technology. I am proficient with windows, but a newbie to the MAC. I grew up on Unix machines so I am looking forward to the Unix kernel. With respect to UW video, I have used Adobe Premiere for years with DV footage and eventually dumped it onto a DVD using something like Ulead, or any other DVD creation software. I have always been self taught.

     

    So, I am trying to determine a good path through the FCP features that would be applicable to UW video. I don't think I need (or will ever use) 50% of the features available to FCP, but I would like to take advantage and really understand the features I am going to use. An example if this would be Color Correction; most of the manuals seem to have a small section on CC, but there is an entire 300 page book on FCP CC.

     

    Should I just go through the materials chapter by chapter or is there a better approach? Where are the cliff notes on FCP for UW editing? :)

    Edited by scubanerd
  2. If there are Cliff's notes, please let me know where to get them! You can literally learn what you will need to know for about 90% of your time editing in about a day, especially with your computer background. However, the other 10% is a labor of love. Procare is great. For 99 bucks/ yr you get a free private 1 hr lesson once a week on anything that mac sells at your local apple store, including FCS. I went in there with a list of questions once a week for months. It was great. You will find that you will eventually begin to stump the "genius" more and more as time goes on. Good luck! Its actually a lot of fun, unless someone is waiting not so patiently for something that is contained within that seemingly innocuous silver box.

     

    cw

  3. Scubanerd, if its color correction you're currently interested in with FCP may I suggest two excellent FCP tutorial discs focusing on CC. The first is the Ripple Training's Color Correction in FCP and the second is VASST's

    Absolute Training for FC Studio Vol8, CC in FCP. Both are good. I might consider the Ripple disc first but the VASST disc is also well done. You can find reviews on both these discs as well as other FCP related tutorials and forums at www.kenstone.net

    Steve B)

  4. FCP is actually easy to use (without even tapping all of its power) though you may need a some time to get used to it, especially coming from Premiere.

     

    Do not know which books you picked up, but there is one by Alexis Van Hurkman called Advanced Color Correction and Effects in Final Cut Pro, and for me it is a great book to have even if you do not use it all. The few chapters on setting up Monitors and using the three-way color corrector are so well laid out that it makes the book worth having even if you do not look at anything else.

     

     

    The main things (at least off the bat) is

     

    1.) Setting Up For FCP and Capturing

     

    2.) Basic Editing

     

    and

     

    3.) Correcting Footage as needed

     

    FCP has something called "easy setups" in the Preferences to be able to capture footage from cameras via Firewire. If you are using a DV or HDV camera, chances are you can just use a preset and go. Make sure you set your system preferences/scratch discs in FCP so that you have a seperate drive from your system drive for capture. Not sure which Mac you got, but FW 400, FW 800 or a SATA card hooked to drives all can work depending on your footage type and machine speed. (Which machine are you getting? What type of camera?)

     

    There are details such as logging and batch capturing (meaning you review the tape and mark the sections you would like to capture as oppossed to the whole tape), but I often find myself just capturing everything to a hard drive and work from there.

     

    Editing is very simple to start with, just drag or insert the clips onto the timeline, then drag them to cut out the parts. As you progress, double clicking on a clip will bring it up in the viewer and you can watch and press the "I" key for the in-point and the "O" key for the outpoint and just that section will be added. I find the easiest way is to do that and then just drag that to the viewer window where your options (insert, insert with transitions etc.) Pop up.

     

    As mentioned the book above will help - in general you will be using the 3-Way Color Corrector and RGB Balance (I mostly just use the 3-Way Color Corrector). You should also become familiar with the Video Scopes. And it is ALOT less daunting than it sounds. The book above has about 150 Pages, but it is a real quick read and laid out in very easy order to take you through what iss happening.

     

    My guess you can get all of the above down in a couple of hours to get started. Not saying you will be a FCP expert or tap all the power, but for me when dealing with my UW footage that above covers a vast amount of gettings things done.

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  5. Nerd; I'm three weeks into using FC Express and Macs. The Procare mentioned by a poster above has been great. The Apple Store near me also offers a weekly class in FC that is free and open to all. The Procare also helps with the transitioning from pc to mac. The main issue I've run into is terminology/vocabulary. If you don't know the term that FC uses for what you want to do you can search the help menu and not find anything useful. For me, and I'm not a computer scientist or a genius (Apple's term for their help guys, it makes me look for an individual with a bulging cranium and poor social skills lol) it was three or four evenings with the program before I was able to do anything productive.

  6. IONature, thanks for the tip on Procare; I will check it out.

     

    Steve, I actually downloaded the free sample of the Ripple CC tutorial. It looked very professional; it is nice to know it is worth the money.

     

    TheRealDrew, I actually was out picking up a copy of the Advanced CC and Effects book while you were writing this. It looks very good and a good reference source. For my MAC, I picked up a MAC Pro and decked it out. It is coming BTO with dual 3g chips, 4g RAM, 1.25 TB of drive space and that new ATI 512mg card; should be a screeming machine. For camera, I am using the Sony HC3 running in HDV. I also have another 100-150 hours of DV footage I will be bringing over. I am sure it won't be too long before I need more drive space :)

     

    uw_nikon, I was browsing a book today by these folks. Do you have first hand experience?

     

    Hawkfish, what did you use before FCP?

     

    Thanks to everyone for the replies, I think I am really going to like the challenge. I am actually waiting around for the FedEx dude to show; I have read as far as I can in the books and any of the tutorials I have only run on the MAC. I haven't been excited over a computer in a long time.

     

    I think I will follow TheRealDrew's approach and concentrate on capturing and logging to get started. Once I have some of that drive space chewed up, try making some basic sequences. If I am going to capture the entire tape would it be better to use batch capture for multiple clips or just pull the entire tape into a clip? One of my goals on the MAC is to have a better archive structure for all clips which would eventually be 'searchable' via animal/location. Any preferred methods?

     

    One other question, it seems that the logging information is part of the project and not the media file. If the project gets deleted, etc all the logging info is gone. Where do you folks keep the logging information about each media file? Maybe I am all confused.

     

    Ryan

  7. IONature, thanks for the tip on Procare; I will check it out.

     

    TheRealDrew, I actually was out picking up a copy of the Advanced CC and Effects book while you were writing this. It looks very good and a good reference source. For my MAC, I picked up a MAC Pro and decked it out. It is coming BTO with dual 3g chips, 4g RAM, 1.25 TB of drive space and that new ATI 512mg card; should be a screeming machine. For camera, I am using the Sony HC3 running in HDV. I also have another 100-150 hours of DV footage I will be bringing over. I am sure it won't be too long before I need more drive space :)

     

     

    Please give me a second, have to wipe the drool from my mouth, my tower is a bit older. There, now I am better.

     

    As to ProCare, take advantage of it, it is good for getting appointments ahead of the line and getting service a bit quicker, but I will bet you will find yourself ahead of the help quickly as others have mentioned.

     

    On the book, go to Chapters 10-12 & 15 as a start - that will get you really .going (13 & 14 also) - but those Chapters go into how to set-up a monitor for correction, how to read the scopes, checking the contrast, getting color correction going and doing secondary correction. This was such a clear book in putting the things altogether in one place for those subjects, alot easier than going through other things I had looked at.

     

    As to drive space (and this will be easy based on your background) make your own drives, get enclosures (firewiredirect.com, wiebetech.com, macsales.com, granitedigital.com) and buy bare drives to stick in them. Takes a couple of moments (real quick once you get used to an enclosure) and can save alot of money down the road. FWIW, an hour of DV/HDV is about 12 Gigs give or take.

     

    A couple of things you may want to look at, a SATA card to hook up external drives and the Intensity Card by Black Magic (I have not used it yet) but it lets you take the HDMI output from the camera and use it for capturing into a format that is an easier/better codec to work with than HDV (but takes up more room). You could also look at other capture cards, such as Kona, and they are great to have, but for many things a FW cable out of the HC3 will be just fine (Not sure what your final goal is with the footage, DVD and web are more forgiving than broadcast)

     

    You could even edit in HDV (which I often do, it is not too bad except when final rendering/conforming) or the Apple Intermediate Codec (I was not a fan of the older version of AIC, and actually preferred to use DV Anamorphic for cutting and correcting then reconnecting for output, and on slower machines DV would perform better, but I think that is not a concern for you :) ) DVCPRO HD is another that many use.

     

    There was a recent thread http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17558 about the issues. Note that the 8 bit/10 bit is a hog as Drew pointed out, I use it really for final renders/output.

     

    I think I will follow TheRealDrew's approach and concentrate on capturing and logging to get started. Once I have some of that drive space chewed up, try making some basic sequences. If I am going to capture the entire tape would it be better to use batch capture for multiple clips or just pull the entire tape into a clip? One of my goals on the MAC is to have a better archive structure for all clips which would eventually be 'searchable' via animal/location. Any preferred methods?

     

    One other question, it seems that the logging information is part of the project and not the media file. If the project gets deleted, etc all the logging info is gone. Where do you folks keep the logging information about each media file? Maybe I am all confused.

     

    Try capturing a tape or two then start editing, get a feel for a flow that works a bit for you (as oppossed to using log and capture or capture all on all 150 hours and realize you do not like it)

     

    I have a tendency to be a bit unorthodox when it comes to capturing and logging (meaning not recommended by anyone really, you would not do this in a large production environment, but it works for me ) but I usually just load the tapes and run them to the drive and worry about logging them later when I review them - with the cost of HDs being relatively low, I just find this easier than winding/rewinding the video and marking it - I will have to look at in anyway to see what is there, and found myself in the past thinking I logged a shot doing log and capture then realized I messed up, so that is why I changed.

     

    You can set FCP to make different clips on time code breaks, so you will get a series of clips. The time code usually comes through fine for the clips (off of various Sony's) and if I ever need to reconnect to the tape I can, never have though, sort of defeats the purpose of FCP to some extent :)

     

    What I will do is name the reel something that is easy for me to use for cataloging - such as 070219_Key_Largo_REEFA - meaning this is footage I shot on Feb 19, 2007 in Key Largo at ReefA. (Guess I am not one for subtle.) So this is easy to search for, at least location.

     

    There are many other approaches - in fact I have dragged clips into iPhoto or iTunes and edit data there (flag them with a comment on type of fish, keywords for location, etc.)

     

    Of course there are many other tools and approaches. You can export a Batch List in various formats (including a Tabbed plain text to use in Excel or other programs) and then there are things like http://www.squarebox.co.uk

     

    And again, on the logging, capturing, database issue, take what I said with a big grain of salt. It coulld get you laughed at, then punched :)

     

    The one thing I would say though (and I am sure you know this) is back-up your FCP files - when going through all the material, making notes, gathering log information, just keep on saving incremental copies along the way - sometimes files can become corrupt or you accidently delete them, then burn a CD later because once you have it marked you can always go back an recreate later.

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  8. I admit I was very daunted on day one looking at all those menu items and options when I first installed FCP. While I was going through the 'learn as you go' routine I found the two most helpful sites for me were:

     

    1) Ken Stone's site - lots of really excellent tutorials at

    http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_homepage_index.html

     

    2) The LA FCP User Group forums at http://www.lafcpug.org/phorum/list.php?1 - this is a great forum to search for answers and pose questions. No question is too basic for these guys and everyone is very supportive and helpful

     

    Also I've found the online help files that install with the program really useful while into an issue in realtime.

    Edited by NickJ
  9. TheRealDrew, you are the man! Thanks for taking the time to write all those thoughts; there is some great stuff in there.

     

    I was able to capture some video and play with it on the timeline, that was pretty easy. I am trying to export a couple single frames for another thread, but every time I use the Export>QT Conv>Still I get a squished picture, looks to be 4:3. I never really thought about it, but 1440x1080i is 4:3. What do you use to export HDV keeping the 16:9 format?

     

    I was reading about the square pixels setting, is that why it looks correct in FCP?

     

    This is my first (of many) demonstrations of ignorance.

     

    NickJ, thanks for the links; I have already started to use them. :)

     

    Ryan

  10. I never really thought about it, but 1440x1080i is 4:3. What do you use to export HDV keeping the 16:9 format?

     

    Yeah that pixel rectangular/square thing is happening, and always gets my head spinning also no matter how often I do it :)

     

    You can open it in Photoshop after exporting from FCP to correct the ratio - scale to 1920x1080, or down to 720 x 404(5) or multiples of these things using non-Constrained resizing, or in Photoshop CS2 (might be in CS1 also, do not know) you can change the aspect ratio of the pixels so it looks proper

     

    Depends on what you are using it for, menus on DVDs (requires slight changes when you get to that point), graphics for DVD packaging, the web, but often you can get picts that are fairly good, and usually scaling down is better than scaling up quality wise.

     

    Couple of other ways, and I use all of them depending upon how I feel

     

    Open the clip in QT (not FCP) and export the frame from there and it makes the proper ratio. (If you make the QT viewer 1/2 size and export it the picture it often makes interlacing less visible)

     

    Or even just capture back in the camera via the take picture method.

     

    HTH

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  11. Open the clip in QT (not FCP) and export the frame from there and it makes the proper ratio. (If you make the QT viewer 1/2 size and export it the picture it often makes interlacing less visible)

    HTH

     

    Stills taken from QT or other video can be opened up with Photoshop - once there, click "filter", go down to video and choose "deinterlace" ..... careful though, I've seen some shots that never needed it come out all freaky-deaky..... (generally if there's no, or minimal, movement in the shot then it shouldn't need a deinterlace job performed on it).

     

    But works treats on shots that need it.....

     

    Good luck with it all and check out http://www.2-popforums.com/forums/ for some sweet forums led by the people in THE know.....

     

    Chris

    Edited by WaterWorks
  12. Stills taken from QT or other video can be opened up with Photoshop - once there, click "filter", go down to video and choose "deinterlace" ..... careful though, I've seen some shots that never needed it come out all freaky-deaky..... (generally if there's no, or minimal, movement in the shot then it shouldn't need a deinterlace job performed on it).

     

     

    Dang, I had put that in the intial post when I wrote it (the long ones I usually write in bbEdit then paste in) in the Photoshop steps and it did not carry through .. anyway you pull stills from video you probably need the deinterlace filter, but one thing I found is using QT export and 1/2 size helps with the deinterlacing.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.