am thinking of purchasing a ikelite ds125 strobe anyone out there who has one ,could they give me an opinion on how good or bad it has been for them?
- 24Posts
- 24Replies
Read-only discussion
how good is the ikelite ds125 strobe?
-
-
They are very popular and widely used.
I am thinking of buying some too!
Alex
-
I've been using the DS-125 pretty much since it's been out. It's a very good mid-range (in terms of power) strobe. It recycles very fast and has a built-in modelling light. I also like it's colour temperature.
-
It's the one I always recommend. Great value.
-
I have 2 and like them also, very fast to recycle, with the new battery it nearly lasts me a week before I have to recharge them 400-500 cycles on 1/4 power which is what I use most times. They charge up very quick, from low to full in about 30 minutes, sealed battery compartment from the rest of the strobe, not to big, what else can you want for $650.. ( don't answer that
) -
I have had these strobes for 4 years now... Fantastic Strobe and best of all, great service from Ikelite.
-
My Ike strobes, 2- SS200's and 2-DS125's, have never been reliable and have been back to Indy far too many times in my book, so I no longer use them. But it is pretty obvious to me that I am the exception (unless others like me are reticent in speaking up about Ikelite). I sometimes believe the purchasing public is more of a beta group for Ike products than is necessary, though I acknowledge my strobe experience may have soured me a bitam thinking of purchasing a ikelite ds125 strobe anyone out there who has one ,could they give me an opinion on how good or bad it has been for them?
In any event, if you decide to go with Ike's note that there are advantages and disadvantages to proprietary batteries. Cost for backups and weight for travel are the one's that matter most to me but may not be an issue whatsoever for others.
-
I have three DS-125s and have been using them for six years. I flooded one strobe and have had a couple of the battery packs refurbished. These are great strobes - powerful, quick recycle, modeling lights built in, quick recharge, reliable...and you can't beat Ikelite service.
-
I used mine for around 300 dives with no problem. But I have friends that had to send theirs once or twice (and from Spain is not nice)... But if you get a good one is a great strobe.
-
I sent a DS125 strobe to Ike to fix over 4 months now and never heard a thing from them, I have emailed about 6 times but they never answer, so I just gave up, I've heard about the good service but yet to see it.

-
My Ike strobes, 2- SS200's and 2-DS125's, have never been reliable and have been back to Indy far too many times in my book, so I no longer use them. But it is pretty obvious to me that I am the exception (unless others like me are reticent in speaking up about Ikelite). I sometimes believe the purchasing public is more of a beta group for Ike products than is necessary, though I acknowledge my strobe experience may have soured me a bit

If I knew what reticent meant I may agree with you

But instead I take the position if you cannot say something nice, keep quiet. And on this issue I am being REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY quiet. Quiet like someone who has a good of money on Ikelite equipment which has failed every time without fail and who has spent hundreds more in shipping charges to Indiana That type of quiet. Maybe I mean that type of reticent
. -
If I knew what reticent meant I may agree with you

But instead I take the position if you cannot say something nice, keep quiet. And on this issue I am being REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY quiet. Quiet like someone who has a good of money on Ikelite equipment which has failed every time without fail and who has spent hundreds more in shipping charges to Indiana That type of quiet. Maybe I mean that type of reticent
.I used to feel like you guys but the last 2 that ive had have been great! (touch wood) Before these i was forever sending them back due to flooding and broken capacitors etc. although, since then i have been on a diving 'sabbatical' and probably only done 50 dives!
I'm sending an SS200 back this week, i guess i'll see what happens!
Kriptap.. Who are you emailing, i normally get a response on the same day, infact, it took me around 5hrs to get a response on Monday of this week.
EDIT: I also have a pair of YS120's for sale if anyone's interested!!
-
Kriptap,
I find it almost impossible to believe no has responded for 4 months as Scuba-SI states.....Maybe your emails have been going into cyberspace?
As far as DavidRodKeller and TheRealDrew's experiences with DS125 strobes......How recently did you both own Ikelite strobes? 3-4 + years ago (or longer when the DS125 was first introduced?)
Not trying to be argumentative. Just wondering since thousands likely are being used every day all over the world to light photos....
dhaas
-
Kriptap,
I find it almost impossible to believe no has responded for 4 months as Scuba-SI states.....Maybe your emails have been going into cyberspace?
As far as DavidRodKeller and TheRealDrew's experiences with DS125 strobes......How recently did you both own Ikelite strobes? 3-4 + years ago (or longer when the DS125 was first introduced?)
Not trying to be argumentative. Just wondering since thousands likely are being used every day all over the world to light photos....
dhaas
I think the first run of stobes had a design fault in them, the female part of the bayonet fitting for the battery used to be made out of two pieces, whereas now its just one. I don't know anything for sure, just a thought.
I have also noticed an increased reliability of the strobes since i switched from Ikelites arms to ulcs, i used to have to crank down the clamps on ike arms to get them to stay in position, meaning when i moved the strobe (by holding the battery, naughty i know!) i would put a lot of pressure on it. Now with the ulcs arms its much easier and must less stress on the stobes.
But then again, i have been happily swimming along only to hear a loud bang as my strobe exploded, so maybe it was user error!
-
Scuba_SI makes an interesting point - how to reposition the strobes. It is easiest to reach up, grap the strobe and twist it into position, but the closest part of the strobe is the battery pack. Sideways force on the battery pack can potentially lead to a leak. While more difficult, it is prudent to reach over to the body of the strobe in order to change its position.
Sounds I do not want to hear underwater: "bang" and "beep, beep, beep..."
-
As far as DavidRodKeller and TheRealDrew's experiences with DS125 strobes......How recently did you both own Ikelite strobes? 3-4 + years ago (or longer when the DS125 was first introduced?)
Not trying to be argumentative. Just wondering since thousands likely are being used every day all over the world to light photos.
dhaas
I do not consider it argumentative at all, and it is a totally valid point and one I do consider often. I usually do keep silent just for the reasons you mentioned. The trouble is it has been a real bad run and has been getting worse for me - the recent two rounds of isssues was really irksome - the first 3 rounds I let slide as just standard glitches that happen. In general I always assume that when something goes wrong it is my fault, and it takes some convincing for me to think otherwise. Also I do not dive as often as others - if I was using the equipment very often and ran into issues it would probably not stand out in my mind as much.
Anyway got the DS-125 a little less than a year ago (will be a year this month)
I have had problems with all my Ikelite equipment, strobes and housings malfunctioning/leaking (not user error either), cords going bad etc.
I will say though Ikeltie's customer service, meaning gettting the stuff repaired and back, has been very good for the most part (though there were exceptions in the more recent rounds) so I would tend to agree that the people who have had dellays are more likely the exception rather than the rule, but then again the same thing can be said about all the problems I have had with the Ikelite equipment

I do like the people at Ikelite when I speak with them. I probably have been star crossed and had a REALLY bad run with their equipment, but when I saw others also have had similar issues, I though perhaps I should mention it.
I really wish I did not have such a bad run - I am looking for new equipment right now, partly because of the issues I have had and partly just wanting to upgrade, and Ikelite is at a good price point, but I am holding off until I can afford something else. And up to the recent couple of rounds I still told my friends to look at some of the housings as options - now I do not.
I still may change my mind and try Ikelite again, the couple of dives when things did work was very nice - but I cannot shake the feeling I have wasted alot of money for things that take up room when I travel as oppossed to things I can rely on.
-
The only piece of Ikelite gear that has failed on me in the last three years or so was the 10-setting manual controller...after a titan triggerfish bit through the sync-cord in PNG and the thing flooded
.I do wonder about if there are consistent issues with strobes or other underwater gear from certain suppliers/resellers? I imagine most of the Wetpixel sponsors are keenly aware of how to handle and store the various products, but I can see where strobes ordered from a local non-photo-oriented dive shop might get thrown around in a box more than is advised...

-
The only piece of Ikelite gear that has failed on me in the last three years or so was the 10-setting manual controller...after a titan triggerfish bit through the sync-cord in PNG and the thing flooded
.I do wonder about if there are consistent issues with strobes or other underwater gear from certain suppliers/resellers? I imagine most of the Wetpixel sponsors are keenly aware of how to handle and store the various products, but I can see where strobes ordered from a local non-photo-oriented dive shop might get thrown around in a box more than is advised...

The front just fell off my manual controller the other day - i was playing with it though, so its totally my fault!!
On a related note, for spare DS125 batteries, i was thinking a nice addition might be a moulded rubber cap to fit over the exposed internal edge and oring, a couple of mine have taken a beating in transit.
-
Please, this isn't meant as a rant against Ikelite products. Ike was such a mercurial and lovable presence on forums and boards that predate Wetpixel by more than a decade, that he gained something of a free ride because divers (before uw-photo lists/boards existed Ike was on scuba boards talking about his dive lights) and photographers were so happy to have someone from the industry speaking to them directly. Consequently it isn't often anyone is comfortable speaking up about Ikelite's deficiencies. I am not even now. But I believe your question is relevant only if the strobes perform reliably after the initial repair. In the case of all my strobes this did not happen. I would hardly have much concern about Ike products if after the initial repair they performed reliably from that point on.As far as DavidRodKeller and TheRealDrew's experiences with DS125 strobes......How recently did you both own Ikelite strobes? 3-4 + years ago (or longer when the DS125 was first introduced)I note that the apparent premise for your question is closely aligned, intended or not, with my opinion that the purchasing public is too much of a beta group for Ike products. And just as a point of consideration, rather than a statement of proof-positive: Ike has a well deserved reputation for excellence in service response (which is not necessarily the same thing as excellent service, and if you've had a failed strobe fail again after repair you know what I mean). Of course one then mus ask why we are all so familiar with their service record? Is it possible that some of that service wouldn't be necessary if sufficient quality, at purchase, was more uniform?
Again, this is not a rant but rather a simple exchange of experience. In some ways Ikelite's service reputation counter-balances their quality issues but some people just don't have the money or time to see their way through the difficulties troubled ike strobes can present. So it doesn't seem right to not mention my own circumstances where Ike strobes are the point of conversation or inquiry. If I had more confidence in Ike strobes I would use them, and recommend them, because I very much like the quality if light they produce. In my view it is better than Sea & Sea, though the photography of a Doubilet would trump that opinion without breaking a sweat

-
I always thought Ikelite products were superior products.
I am shocked to read about these experiences. I always believed the housings were very good.
Sometimes when email does not get a response, one has to pick up the phone and make the call.