Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Largest print made from 10MP camera?

Started by Christian K ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Largest print made from 10MP camera?

9 posts
  1. I was recently contacted by a guy who wanted to purchase a picture from me to blow up on a wallpaper. Has anyone tried that, or can calculate in theory? Not sure what resolution is needed, probably not too high. The picture in question is a 15MB Nikon D200 RAW-file, about 50-60 MB when saved as a TIFF or PSD. Do you think it's doable with a reasonable result? Greatful for any tips, hints or information.

     

    cheers

  2. It's definitely possible, the question of resolution required really comes down to how far away the image will be viewed at.

    There are interpolation software packages such as Alien Skin Blow Up that you may want to consider for really large blow-ups.

  3. I have taken a image from a oly c5050 and blown it up to a 16x20 (from a tight crop) for a customer that looked good, but to get it make a good print it required alot of PS work, the uncompressed file with all layers prior to prepping the print file was 480mb.

     

    it was interpolated from the raw convertor, beyond that to do major enlargements i would need to pull in genuine fractals or s-spline pro to uprez the image (especially to wall size).

     

    how ever you edit it make sure its with a non distructive editting and saving in a uncompressed format (PSD is my preference) so there is no resoultion loss

     

    FWIW

     

    Tooth

  4. I have printed my Oly 5050 (5MP) files at 20x30 with reasonable results. I have also printed my Canon 5D files (13MP) at 20x30 and they look beautiful. Is the goal of your wall paper to look good from 1ft, or to look good from across the room? If the former you will need some upres program (which effectively adds fake high frequency data). If the latter, you are fine with your D200 files.

  5. Thank's guys. To be honest I don't know what the room looks like (I know it's a bed room) or from what distance the wallpaper will be viewed at. But I'd imagine that you won't scrutinize it from a feet away.

     

    cheers

     

    Christian

  6. Who is going to do the large print for you? If it's a printing service, they should be able to help out.

    Thank's guys. To be honest I don't know what the room looks like (I know it's a bed room) or from what distance the wallpaper will be viewed at. But I'd imagine that you won't scrutinize it from a feet away.

     

    cheers

     

    Christian

  7. I think that you will be fine.

     

    This photo of mine (on the wall in the background) is from the D100 - and this particular print a crop from it and was 3m high and looked great certainly to the people looking at it.

     

    queen1.jpg

     

    I would think that the D200 would be able to go considerably larger.

     

    Alex

     

    p.s. sorry for the choice of picture - but it is the only shot I have with people to add scale.

  8. For those of you who didn't see it, this of course is Alex's second posting of his brush with Royalty....

     

    So before you try any more jokes, you should check what has gone before you in the original Royal Appointment posts.

     

    And back on subject... I just supplied a number of images for a display job the - biggest were approx 9mx3m, one of which was made off the attached reef image. This is a pano stitched from 3x35mm slides that were each scanned at 3200ppi on my flextite. I would definitely get better final result using my properly prepared d200 files than the scans.

     

    This rainforest image was shot on my 1ds (11MP full frame) and was blown up for a wallpaper-type job to 2.8x4.1m.

     

    Both worked fine for their applications.

     

    Always talk to the production company before supplying the image. They will have particular specs. I usually end up supplying my images to size at 100ppi, then the RIP software (that professional production houses use) will interpolate the file up to the print res it requires for the job, which has a lot to do with the output resolution and media the job is going on to.

     

    I've tried a couple of the up-resig programs, but I get better control by doing steps in Photoshop. I also layer the file and selectively sharpen areas that can handle it.

     

    darren

    post-6899-1173396547_thumb.jpg

    post-6899-1173397113_thumb.jpg

  9. Ok split the topic so the serious discussion of enlargements can continue.

     

    For those who want to continue to "congratulate" Alex may do so here.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.