Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

A Royal Appointment

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 43Posts
  • 43Replies

Read-only discussion

A Royal Appointment

43 posts
  1. I haven't done any blatent showing off in this forum for a while so I thought I'd share this:

     

    queen2.jpg

    Queen chats to Mustard, Duke looks at fish

     

    My underwater photographs took me to meet the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh. It was an amazing honour and I am very proud to have done it. ;):(

     

    I was flown to Estonia to meet them (where they were making a State Visit at the time) and got to show them some of my underwater photos, chat about underwater photography and to present them with a book. The meeting came about because I was invited by the British Council in Estonia to represent the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition and to present the Queen with their official gift of the Portfolio book.

     

    The Queen is a keen photographer herself and congratulated me on winning in the competition and asked me about the challenges of taking pictures underwater. I actually spoke more about the advantages; underwater we can move in three dimensions and therefore can approach the subject from any direction we choose, I told her. Imagine what land photography would be like if we could fly. The Queen seemed amused by this answer.

     

    The Duke of Edinburgh, well known for his patronage of the WWF, was more interested in the species shown in the photos and where the photos were taken. I explained that the Snapper photo (which you can see in the photo on the right) was taken in Egypt, explaining that the Red Sea is so lush and colourful below the waves, quite a contrast to the desert above.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  2. Congrats; maybe a knighthood in your future, or just an OBE or something. :D

     

    I haven't done any blatent showing off in this forum for a while so I thought I'd share this:

     

    queen2.jpg

    Queen chats to Mustard, Duke looks at fish

     

    My underwater photographs took me to meet the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh. It was an amazing honour and I am very proud to have done it. ;):(

     

    I was flown to Estonia to meet them (where they were making a State Visit at the time) and got to show them some of my underwater photos, chat about underwater photography and to present them with a book. The meeting came about because I was invited by the British Council in Estonia to represent the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition and to present the Queen with their official gift of the Portfolio book.

     

    The Queen is a keen photographer herself and congratulated me on winning in the competition and asked me about the challenges of taking pictures underwater. I actually spoke more about the advantages; underwater we can move in three dimensions and therefore can approach the subject from any direction we choose, I told her. Imagine what land photography would be like if we could fly. The Queen seemed amused by this answer.

     

    The Duke of Edinburgh, well known for his patronage of the WWF, was more interested in the species shown in the photos and where the photos were taken. I explained that the Snapper photo (which you can see in the photo on the right) was taken in Egypt, explaining that the Red Sea is so lush and colourful below the waves, quite a contrast to the desert above.

     

    Alex

  3. What a huge honoUr. Congrats and interesting answers also.

     

    Cheers

     

    Todd

  4. That is awesome, Alex. Good to get even the royalty more interested in the underwater world. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

     

    Aloha

    Bryce

  5. you deserve to toot your horn as loud as you want for that

  6. so so so cool.....

     

    Congrats Sir Mustard... nice suit!

  7. Congrats Sir Mustard... nice suit!

     

     

    Seconded ;)

     

    and seconded :(:D

     

     

    Good show old chap.

  8. That just tops EVERYTHING! Congratulations!

  9. Well you have to be happy with that.

    Rather Cool indeed.

    A big congrats there. ;)

     

    Maybe she will turn up here on Wetpixel now :(

  10. I'll say you have to be happy mate!

     

    You can do all the showing off you want with friends in such high places. Very very nice work.

     

    I'll second Wagsy's nomination of inviting her to join Wetpixel. ;)

  11. so alex, I take it that's your new "dry" suit....

  12. Really great Alex, that must have been a "once in a lifetime expetrience" feeling..

    Edited by DuikKees
  13. It was quite a sureal experience - as it is whenever you meet anyone so famous. And I have to say - very cool. A real one off - but I am proud I got to do it. I have even put the photo on the home page of my website (well for a few weeks, anyway).

     

    I think I won't get the Queen involved here on Wetpixel. Dean wouldn't last long until he was carted off to the tower...

     

    Alex

  14. Congrats!! Alex. What a thrill, I'm sure. You are most deserving of such praise and recognition.

     

    All the best, Jett

  15. Yo know what I love most is ... he has a prince charles posture going on ....

     

    were you trying to get adopted ?

     

    And what did you end up calling her ?

     

    Lizzie ? Queenie ? Your Royal Highness ? Hey Babe ? Sweetiepie ? Sugar ? etc etc

  16. ;):( You cheeky git...

     

    I heard that the Pope now has to wait to hold an audience with Alex.. :D

     

    Excellent..There will be no stopping him now. I cannot wait for the next Antibes..Stories of Red carpets, state honours, keys to the cities..Jesus he will need a ultra fisheye to fit his head in the frame...

     

    Seriously, fantastic Alex..Meeting 'Her madge' and the 'Duke'..An achievement only made by statesmen and stalkers..

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(freed from the tower)B

  17. Congratulations Alex, It is indeed quite an accomplishment.

  18. Spectacular!

  19. I'm awestruck Alex. That's such an honor and really, impossible to top. Congratulatons seems so weak but, you have earned that. Wow!

     

    Rand

  20. What a wonderful honor and thrill. Congrats!!!

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.