Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Shark Trust Photo Competition

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 30Posts
  • 30Replies

Read-only discussion

Shark Trust Photo Competition

30 posts
  1. Since there are technical requirements regarding shots suitable for repro, I would think that those serious underwater photographers might be interested rather than the point-n-shooters. The prize (a holiday in the Maldives) departs from the UK. http://www.sharktrust.org/content.asp?did=26903

     

    Tell your friends!

     

    (I will not be competing for the reason I might well be a judge!)

  2. Saw it in the Mag. Seems like a really great idea for a competition.

     

    [hint]We should get this up on Wetpixel's front page![/hint]

     

    Alex

  3. hint: you have access to the front page hint...

     

    :rolleyes:

  4. Yeah, but I am in SE Asia and my password is in England. Hence the hint.

     

    You might also think that this location might be well suited to working on a few cracking shots for the comp - but you'd be forgetting that they don't have sharks in SE Asia anymore...

     

    Alex

  5. Oh Alex, that's cos you're going to the wrong places. :rolleyes:

    Edited by Drew
  6. no sharks in south east asia ... but where did they all go ?

     

    aren't they the apex predator ... top of the food chain .. or is there something above them that eats sharks ? :rolleyes:

  7. Yeah, but I am in SE Asia and my password is in England.

    That the problem when you actually going dive instead of just babble about it (as I do right now) :rolleyes:

  8. That the problem when you actually going dive instead of just babble about it (as I do right now) :)

    :rolleyes::blink:

  9. The rules say "Also, all photos of free-swimming sharks must have been taken in natural circumstances" does this exclude shark feed shots, which is fine by me.

  10. Here's the specific line from the rules:

     

    "Also, all photos of free-swimming sharks must have been taken in natural circumstances, with no efforts made to provoke the subject into display or threatening behaviour."

     

    I would interpret that to say that sharks MAY have been baited into the area but I could be wrong.

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. Here's the specific line from the rules:

     

    "Also, all photos of free-swimming sharks must have been taken in natural circumstances, with no efforts made to provoke the subject into display or threatening behaviour."

     

    I would interpret that to say that sharks MAY have been baited into the area but I could be wrong.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    I guess a shark would be there for a reason. Maybe not because someone put down bait today, but maybe yesterday. What is "display or threatening behaviour"? I never felt threatened by a feeding shark. What say you Mike V?

     

    Here is Jeremy Stafford-Deitsch of the Shark Trust with a bullshark. It certainly wasn't there because it liked the look of his suit!

    post-4197-1182530785_thumb.jpg

    Edited by John Bantin
  12. What is "display or threatening behaviour"?

     

    When sharks are angry they "arch" their backs and turn the pectoral fins down. This is known as the threatening behavior. They do it just before an attack. I've seen it before, when I had a bag of fish hanging behind me, and believe me, you don't want to see it.

     

    The bull shark above shows a "normal" posture by the way. I searched the net trying to find a photo of a posturing shark but didn't find any. There are a few in books about sharks.

    Edited by Rocha
  13. When sharks are angry they "arch" their backs and turn the pectoral fins down. This is known as the threatening behavior. They do it just before an attack. I've seen it before, when I had a bag of fish hanging behind me, and believe me, you don't want to see it.

     

    The bull shark above shows a "normal" posture by the way. I searched the net trying to find a photo of a posturing shark but didn't find any. There are a few in books about sharks.

     

     

    Simply swimming past you is threatening behaviour in some people's books! Is this behaviour threatening? I think that this picture would be probably disqualified from the competion. (But I didn't write the rules!)

    post-4197-1182585092_thumb.jpg

    Edited by John Bantin
  14. Simply swimming past you is threatening behaviour in some people's books! Is this behaviour threatening? I think that this picture would be probably disqualified from the competion. (But I didn't write the rules!)

     

    No, not threatening, just normal feeding behavior. They swim totally different when very irritated, with the pectoral fins pointing down...

  15. . What say you Mike V?

    I can't get the sharks here to eat out of my hand... shy fellas. :glare:

  16. I can't get the sharks here to eat out of my hand... shy fellas. :glare:

     

    Maybe you need French lessons from Bertran!

  17. Maybe you need French lessons from Bertran!

     

     

    I would prefer Brigit... :P

    Oh, and i would like to keep my fingers!

     

     

    Got a pic for us John? :(

     

    Did i mention i always called Bertrand "Requin" after that? haha

     

    Seb loved that..

  18. I would prefer Brigit... :P

    Oh, and i would like to keep my fingers!

    Got a pic for us John? :(

     

    Did i mention i always called Bertrand "Requin" after that? haha

     

    Seb loved that..

     

     

    Do you mean this one?

    post-4197-1182606887_thumb.jpg

  19. Thats the one! hehe

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.